It’s Time To Leave The Alien Franchise Alone!

Andrew Murphy 12 Comments

“Since the first Alien movie back in 1979 released creating the now legendary Xenomorph, infinite movies have learned and taken inspiration from it and its sequels. But since the second movie Aliens the series has been hurt continuously. Is it time the Alien should be left alone? Since Ridley Scott brought us the stunning sci-fi horror movie the genre has never been the same, the epic build-up to the chestburster scene that no one saw coming to the amazing role Sigourney Weaver played as Ripley, a strong powerful female character that stayed in through-out the franchise.

Not many people thought that Alien could be topped but director James Cameron took the job of trying to. What he done with Aliens is made it one of the best sequels in cinema history. Changing the original sci-fi horror feel to more of a sci-fi action movie with elements of horror mixed in it. With Aliens, Cameron brought of a ‘crew’ vibe, having a range of different characters all having their own traits and concerns. He didn’t solely rely on Ridley to be the main star of attention, but in the second half of the movie brought her into the spotlight. But with what happened at the end of Aliens, it left an opening for a sequel if there was going to be one.

Then start Alien 3, the film was being directed by David Fincher and saw the main character of the first two Alien movies return, Ripley. This is the movie that saw the Alien franchise decline, with a below average plot and killing off some other very important characters from Cameron’s Aliens. The movie didn’t impress as much as the original or the incredible sequel, but laid the groundwork for the sequel that was to come later on known as Alien: Resurrection.

Its Time To Leave The Alien Franchise Alone!

Alien: Resurrection is widely known the worst of the Alien movies, creating a stupidly bizarre plot wrote by Joss Whedon (who directed the now popular Avengers movie) which I think is most to blame for this horrible Alien movie we got. But yet again, Ripley returns in Resurrection and has more xenomorphs to fight off. Overall, the film wasn’t liked by the majority of Alien fans.

That is why Alien 3 is so important, while it did do some good things, like having the xenomorph born through a dog this time unlike the two previous movies, it did stuff wrong and basically gave way for Resurrection and its horrible plot to happen.

That’s not the end though; Ridley Scott who directed Alien, last year released a prequel to it called Prometheus. And like the previous two Alien films, this one didn’t deliver (for some people). Though there is going to be a sequel to Prometheus to continue to prequel to Alien, I think after this prequel, the Alien franchise has to be left alone.

Of course you can too mention the Alien vs. Predator franchise that done horrible and did nothing for either the Alien franchise, or the Predator one at that. It was just milking both names and it resulted in (two) bad movies.

Its Time To Leave The Alien Franchise Alone!By now the Alien name is just getting milked more and more. Like video games, the Alien franchise has had video games adaptions too like the recently released Alien: Colonial Marines that takes place 17 weeks after the events of Aliens. Though it’s now known as the sequel to Aliens and bridges the gap between Aliens and Alien 3 (which it didn’t do, only created more plot holes). But the game has been smashed by reviewers and is doing very bad, like the 2010 game Aliens vs. Predators. Not to mention another Aliens game is in the works by Creative Assembly.

But what I am pointing to here is the Alien franchise has been milked enough. We’ve had enough bad sequels since Aliens and as much as I was excited for Prometheus, after its sequel we don’t need any more prequels or explanation.

Longtime fans of the franchise (like me) have had enough of these bad movies, and bad video games killing the Alien name more and more with everyone that is released.
It’s time to leave the Alien franchise alone.”

25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time Most Disturbing Horror Movies Sexiest Horror Movie Victims

1. Darain p February 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Just because you didn’t like the sequels does not mean that they hurt the alien name or franchise. Alien 3 was a drastically different look at the journey that ripley took. Alien resurrection was a a way to do something different within the alien universe. I think the xenomorphs and their universe have plenty of mystery and stories to tell.

2. andrewmurphy219 February 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Hi Darain, and yeah I understand with what you are saying and can actually agree that the xenomorphs have plenty more stories to tell. But I think since the decline of the Alien franchise over a period of time, would you rather have bad movies in the Alien universe or just leave the franchise as it is?

Me? I’m not too sure, I think if anyone was to do it correct with would be Ridley but it didn’t seem that way with Prometheus. Maybe the sequel will be different and better – something I pray happens.

• Greg February 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I’d like to see more. Obviously all movies/games after Aliens won’t be as good, but that’s only because the movie is one of the top 5 movies ever made (#1 for me).

As for Prometheus, I’d recommend watching it as not a prequel. I hated it the 1st time watching because I wanted it to have more about the aliens. 2nd and 3rd time were much more enjoyable.

Haven’t played the latest game, but I really want to. Altogether the AVPgame wasn’t great, but the Marines campaign and aliens “zombie mode” multiplayer were. Im hoping the new one is like that.

3. andrewmurphy219 February 16, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Hi Greg, thanks for your feedback.

I can see what you mean, but when I look at Resurrection for an example, that movie (along with Alien 3, but more so Resurrection) could be improved dramatically. They may not be better than Alien or Aliens, but they still could be improved a lot. And that’s what I kind of mean (but I do still see your point, which is a good one).

As for Prometheus, yeah I do think I need to re-watch it without having it as an Alien prequel in mind. But I still believe Ridley done wrong with how he has gone about it, a prequel is suppose to answer more questions, not give us even more questions y’know?

And as for Alien Colonial Marines (it currently stands at a 44/100 on Metacritic), I’ve played it through twice now and for what its story was suppose to do, it does very wrong. There is fun to be had, but I’m just strictly talking about story. It makes no sense and that’s a problem (for me).

• Darain February 17, 2013 at 3:50 am

I totally understand where your coming from wanting our favorite franchises to be taken care of but unfortunately with so many hands in the pots and so many different ideas its almost unavoidable that we as fans end up with some sub-par entries. I think as fans we have to embrace each entry as its own entity and just simply decide wether to add it to our library and favorite list. I have seen most of my horror faves go down that long slope to direct to DVD hell, but will I watch it, yes, will I own it, probably, simply for the love of horror.

4. cody February 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Aliens doesn’t need to be put down it just needs to be made with care and have time to evolve. Aliens colonial Marines wasn’t so bad either, its a new game ip that needs to be appreciated.

5. Dennis February 17, 2013 at 4:28 am

Ok, Prometheus was more of sci-fi story that took place in the Alien universe. It was not necessarily a prequel. And I thought that movie was amazing. Along with many other Alien fans. The AvP films are not official cannon so can be thrown out. Resurrection was bad but I dont think as bad as 3. 3 had horrible CGI, a terrible plot, and a laughable excuse to kill off 2 main characters from Aliens.

6. GRS February 17, 2013 at 11:35 am

Maybe you should stop going to see them and let the rest of us watch what we want?

7. Andrew Barry March 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm

This is the 2nd article I have to disagree with today. Those films or games are not ruining the franchise. If you do not like them then dont WATCH them. I think 3 was ok and agree the 4th sucked but it does not tarnish anything. I am glad there will be a sequel to Prometheus and haven’t played Colonial Marines yet but I will try it since I like the idea of gameplay. This is my problem with a lot of horror fans, OH NO a Remake or not ANOTHER sequel. It does not ruin the series since you know what you like and don’t like. Sure most of these movies dont live up to the original but that is because the original is in your brain and anything else will JUST SUCK lol. A lot of times these movies bring in new fans to the series and a lot will check out the original which is a good thing. This is just my opinion though and if I see something I dont like I just shrug my shoulders, go watch the original, and not worry about the movies I didn’t like.

8. Breakbot March 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm

3 did screw the continuity and has left me thinking that only one of two things could happen if the series is to continue. 1) the series is rebooted, leaving 1 & 2 relatively in tact if not slightly altered to help bring them up to date, 3 becomes a new story that continues from 2 and doesn’t kill off everyone – just what that would be is open to discussion provided it’s not set in an all male space prison again. It will be hard to replace the original cast from 1 & 2 but It can be done .2) create film/s that are either self contained or a new trilogy/quadrilogy with a new set of characters, all of which and are a love letter to fans pissed off at the direction of the franchise since 3. Paul W.S Anderson and Michael Bay also are not allowed to direct.

9. Spector May 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I recently fell in love with the Alien franchise. Usually I can’t watch horror movies, But Alien was amazing. And as one of the commentors stated above, There’s so much stories that can be told in this universe. And IMO, I hope they don’t stop making them. (Hopefully, They make them good though. Alien 3 bored me a bit. And I actually liked Alien: Resurrection.) They just need a good (Or someone who has improved their skills) To make it amazing again.

10. Alexander February 27, 2014 at 3:05 am

Alien movie is popular these day I like it .