Latest News: Stephen Kings IT and Pet Semetary Remakes

Ben Hurry 56 Comments

Pennywise. Who here can honestly say that Tim Curry’s performance as the evil, shape-shifting clown in the TV adaptation of Stephen King’s novel “It” wasn’t one of the greatest performances of his career? However fans of the original two-part film might be a little put off with what is shaping up to be a far darker and more accurate representation of the novel.

Rumours of a possible remake began circulating a few years ago in 2009, before the project went underground and fell silent for a few years. With David Kajganich writing the script for a single feature length film with a darker mood than the original, and which would be aiming for an R rating, things looked interesting, if not entirely promising for a remake of the absolutely incredible ABC mini-series of 1990.

Since then, Warner Bros. has managed to get Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre) on-board to both direct and co-write with Chase Palmer of Dune fame. More good news also surfaced late last year with Warner Bros. also agreeing to split the film into two parts, allowing more time to properly explore the themes, concepts and terror contained in the 1,200 page novel than a single feature film would allow.

Latest News: Stephen Kings IT and Pet Semetary Remakes

They have also assembled Roy Lee, Dan Smith, David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith to Produce, however no news has surfaced yet on who will be playing Pennywise, or on any other cast or crew additions. It’s worth noting that this film has been stuck in pre-production since the first script was penned in 2009, so don’t get your hopes up for a release any time soon.

Also on the horizon is a remake of Stephen King’s Cult Classic 1989 film “Pet Semetary”. Written first by, yet again, David Kajnagich, it is rumoured Paramount Pictures who took on the film have decided instead to go with a draft script submitted by 1408 writer Matthew Greenberg.

Several high profile directors, chief among them Guillermo del Toro put their hands up to direct once it became apparent Paramount was shopping for a director, but it seems Paramount has eyes only for French director Alexandre Aja (of Haute Tension infamy) and his experience in directing visceral and somewhat gory remakes such as The Hills Have Eyes, Piranha and Mirrors.

Unlike It, it seems that this film at least may start filming sometime next year, with Aja currently busy directing another Paramount film in late 2013.

Either way, we’ll be sure to keep you up to date with the latest news on these two remakes and any further developments that arise. In the meantime, what Stephen King stories would you like to see made (or remade)?

Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! Sexiest Horror Movie Victims Most Disturbing Horror Movies

1. Damion swampy A May 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Id like to see a movie adaptation of theeye of the dragon

2. Tiago Almeida May 13, 2013 at 5:49 pm

My God, I hope they dont screw those up.

3. Garden May 13, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I’m down for any remake because if it doesn’t do well, oh well, the originals still kick ass. Plus, IT was very off from the book, one of my favorites, so I would like to see a more loyal adaptation and possibly longer.

• Ben Hurry
          Ben Hurry May 13, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I’m with you on this one. As good as the Tim Curry IT was, sadly it was painfully obvious that they had to cut some of the more extreme and disturbing content from the novel in order for ABC to get that TV friendly PG-13. If Warner Bros. sticks to the original plan of a two part R rated film we should see a much longer, much more loyal adaptation.

4. paul May 14, 2013 at 1:35 am

i would like stephen king the golden years remade

5. Chilli May 14, 2013 at 7:34 am

There is nothing scarier than a woman scorned, I saw it once, her eyes turned red and fire came from her mouth and nose, so for that reason I would say Carrie or Misery.
        Chilli

6. Ivann DeCarlo May 20, 2013 at 1:40 am

STOP WITH THE DAMN REMAKES!!!!!!! THEY ARE NEVER GOOD!!!! DOESN’T HOLLYWOOD EVER LEARN FROM THE FLOP REMAKES???????

• tris May 18, 2014 at 8:07 am

You are mosty right. But I love the old evil dead and the remake was just as good in its on right. So lets see how thay go.

7. Ivann DeCarlo May 20, 2013 at 1:43 am

HEY, EVERY OTHER REMAKE FLOPPED, SO LET’S KEEP REMAKING THINGS THAT DON’T NEED TO BE REMADE AND IF IT FLOPS AGAIN, THEN WE CAN SIT AROUND AND WONDER WHY, BUT CONTINUE TO MAKE REMAKES. JUST BECAUSE A CAR HAS NO MOTOR AND WHEELS, DOESN’T MEAN YOU CAN’T DRIVE IT.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur May 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING! :)

Seriously though as much as I agree remakes are a pain in the ass you are completely wrong on the profitability angle. Remakes have made studios a TON of money with little effort

• PB1 May 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Yes, do stop shouting.

I agree that remakes of existing movies usually turn out poorly however these movies would be reinterpretations of novels. The original TV version of IT is far, far less ambitious than the novel, which is incredibly epic, dark and dull of wonder. So a modern, big budget version could be amazing. Tim Curry was fine for the 90′s but Pennywise was in reality a darker, richer character.

What I would like to know us if there is any new news on this film. It was announced so long ago and gas gone very quiet…

• not-impressed-yet August 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm

The originals weren’t very good, I don’t know what you’re talking about in this case. The movies were brief, hollow, and contained *mostly* poor acting. They were laughable and could only scare someone under the age of 13. Hopefully these new films are better than the originals. Most remakes aren’t good at all, but those movies were terrible…

8. PB1 May 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm

*full not dull!

9. DENNIS QUINN May 23, 2013 at 2:38 am

“THE TALISMAN” WOULD BE A GREAT MOVIE. THERE ARE MORE THAN A FEW GREAT CHARACTERS THAT COULD BE WELL CAST. . . . THE STORY OF BETRAYAL- GREED & FAMILY IS TIMELESS. THE WODEROUS AND FRIGHTENING LOCALS WOULD BE SENSATIONAL TO SEE RENDERED ON THE BIG SCREEN. AND. MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE ‘GUITAR PICKS’. D.Q.

• Ben Hurry
          Ben Hurry May 25, 2013 at 12:28 am

My GOD! I love the Talisman! I’ve always wanted them to do a film version of “Cell”, though that’s in the works so I’m already getting excited for that.

• Hailey December 31, 2013 at 3:26 am

A movie of The Talisman would be amazing! I fell in love instantly wit that novel and it would be a great movie!

10. winston May 27, 2013 at 11:53 am

woohoo

11. Melissa May 31, 2013 at 9:57 pm

No, just no. I get that it’ll probably be better because we have better effects and whatnot nowadays but nothing can compare to the original, I think I must of been around 5/6 when I first ever watched IT and I can honestly say ever since then IT has been my all-time favourite movie, I know it word for word, quite sad I know but that’s the one horror film I’ve never gotten bored of and to be honest I don’t think I could bring myself to go and watch a remake.

12. DENNIS QUINN June 1, 2013 at 2:23 am

THERES NO DOUBT THAT TIM CURRIES ‘PENNYWISE’ WAS ONE OF BEST AND MOST ICONIC PERFORMANCES EVER. EACH TIME I’VE READ A NEW KING NOVEL,IT SEEMS LIKE THE BEST ONE I’VE EVER READ. KIND OF LIKE SEEING A CONCERT OF ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE BANDS,ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT THAT SHOW COULD BE THE ‘BEST SHOW YOU’VE EVER SEEN.THEN THE NEXT BAND YOU GO SEE A MONTH LATER PLAYS THE ‘BEST SHOW YOU’VE EVER SEEN. ART,AT ITS BEST IS FLUID.THE MOVIES THEY MAKE OF STEPHEN KINGS NOVELS RARELY COME CLOSE TO THE RICHNESS AND DEPTH OF THE BOOKS, ‘GREEN MILE’ . . ‘THE DARK HALF’ & ‘THE SHINING’ BEING MY FAVORITES. BUT WE LOVE TO SEE THEM BECAUSE. . . WELL WE LOVE STEPHEN KING. . . & HOPE EACH TIME WE GO TO THE MOVIE. THAT MAYBE THEY’LL CATCH THE MAGIC & HEART THE BOOK HAD. SO I GIVE TIM CURRY HIS ‘PROPS’ FOR PENNYWISE. . . BUT LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEW “IT” WITH INTEREST.ITS A 50-50 SHOT WITH REMAKES AT BEST. BUT COME ON, WHAT ABOUT -’INSOMNIA’ & ‘THE TALISMAN’ & 10 OTHER KING NOVELS THAT COULD BE DONE SO WELL. . . . IN THE RIGHT HANDS.? ? ?THERES PLENTY OF BEAUTIFUL, RICH STORIES TO DRAW FROM. . . LESS RE-MAKES. . . MORE NEW STUFF. THANKS FOR LISTENING.D.Q.

13. Travis Bills June 14, 2013 at 9:13 am

The Dark Tower S,would be great on the screen,with the right people that have the $,and lack of intimidation for the mass project that it is,If there going to make it,and make it good,they need not be cheap,and they need a none family friendly program.I would hate to see a master peace finally get on screen to be poorly made by cheap budgets and major script shortening. As far as that goes, I’d really like some bachman books adapted,the long walk would be nice for a short movie for tv,if done right.It wouldn’t have to be a high budget film either,but that book was more menacing in its terror,of a truer form.A natural,blunt horror story.That evolves around the every day greed and inhumanity toward one another,through the lesser of human instincts to be fascinated in the tragedy and misfortune of others,along with blood and thrills.Its A nice change,from the more heavy supernatural/scifi horror not that im not a fan.And as far as remakes go,i disagree with the opinion of them being pointless and a waste,unless the original was a peace of art,then no..to me if somethings not broken don’t fix it…But when an original falls short,whats to lose remaking it,its still going to make bank,cause its going to,or at least should be better…I really want to see the running man remade,in this day an age it would be good,besides the original sucks in comparison to the novel or to anything from this century that might replace it for that matter,so i say go for it….and the talisman and the black house.

14. DENNIS QUINN June 15, 2013 at 9:44 am

FIRST . . . TO ANYONE WHO THINKS I MAY BE ‘SHOUTING’ : I’M NOT.
        I DON’T SEE WELL,& THATS THE REASON FOR ALL CAPS.I AGREE WITH’MOST’ POSTINGS ON THIS SIGHT. . . . FOR ONE REASON. . . WE ALL LOVE STEPHEN KING.THE STORIES WE LOVE, VARY, BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT INTERESTS. . , WHICH ARE REFLECTED BY THE STORIES & BOOKS WE CHOOSE AS OUR FAVORITES.
        I WOULD, AT SOME POINT, LIKE TO SEE ‘EVERY’ NOVEL KING HAS DONE, MADE INTO A MOVIE. FOR TWO REASONS. 1. I LOVE JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING HE’S WRITTEN. 2. MOVIE PRODUCTION VALUES HAVE FINALLY CAUGHT UP,WITH
        THE ABILITY TO RENDER ON SCREEN, THE FANTASTICAL. . . . ARCHITYPAL & MYTHOLOGICAL SETTINGS,KING CREATES IN HIS NOVELS.
        THE STORIES THAT WOULD’NT NECESSARILY BENEFIT FROM, OR BE DEPENDENT UPON, THESE ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES, NEED, AS STATED BY STEPHEN KING LOVERS HERE, & IN OTHER FORUMS, A GOOD STRONG “SCREENWRITER”. THE STORY IS AFTER ALL,’THE HEART THAT BEATS’ IN EVERY GREAT FILM.TO WATCH A MOVIE POORLY FILMED, BUT WELL WRITTEN,IS STILL MILES BEYOND THE REVERSE.
        THE RIGHT WORDS, SPOKEN IN THE RIGHT WAY, BY THE RIGHT ACTOR. . . FROM ALMOST ANY OF KINGS STORIES. . .AND.. . IN THE HANDS OF THE RIGHT DIRECTOR. . . . . COULD . . . & THIS,LIKE ANYTHING ELSE I’VE WRITTEN HERE, IS NOTHING MORE THAN ‘MY OPINION’,. . .COULD. . . BE FILMED WITH NOTHING MORE THEN A DARK BACKDROP, & BE AS INTERESTING & TERRIFYING AS ANY OVERBLOWN ‘BIG BUDGET’ MOVIE COULD BE. SOOOOO. . . . IN THE WORDS OF ONE OF MY TEENAGE LITERARY HEROS. . . . ‘NUFF SAID. D.Q.

15. Dave June 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm

How many of you took time to read the book?

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I read Pet Semetary but not IT

• DENNIS QUINN June 17, 2013 at 2:09 am

BEING AN OLDER GUY, I’VE READ THEM ALL,FROM’CARRIE’ & ‘THE SHINING’ TO ‘CELL’, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LAST FEW NEW ONES DUE TO EYE SIGHT PROBLEMS.IN FACT I’VE READ QUITE A FEW OF THEM MULTIPLE TIMES.ITS GREAT GOING BACK TO A STORY FROM 7 OR 10 YEARS AGO,& RE-READING IT.ESPECIALLY BIG ONES LIKE ‘INSOMNIA’ OR’ IT’OR THE EDITION OF ‘THE STAND’ THAT WAS LIKE 500 PAGES LONG.THEY’RE ALL SO RICH & FULL OF PEOPLE – PLACES & EVENTS. . . . YOU REMEMBER ENOUGH TO FOLLOW THE STORY EASILY. . . BUT FORGOT ENOUGH TO BE SURPRISED AGAIN.I PLAN ON GETTING THE ENTIRE ‘DARK TOWER’ SERIES ON CD, SO I CAN RE-VISIT ROLAND
          & THE WASTELANDS ALL OVER AGAIN.KINGS BOOKS & STORIES ‘RULE’. D.Q.

• Hailey December 31, 2013 at 3:30 am

I’ve read “IT” three times, I fell in love with the book the first time I read it and picked it up two more times. Each time I read the book, it was like I was reading it the first time. Amazing book, written by a more amazing author

16. THardy June 17, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Stephen King Is the master.The Movies Made Will Always Play Second Fiddle To The Novels.

17. marvin June 18, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Firestarter, ‘salem’s Lot, Christine, Gerald’s Game if doable, The Shining, Misery, The Running Man…a lot of great King books got low-budget adaptations. It would be great to see them remade more faithfully with modern filmmaking technology and a bigger budget.

18. wetshavingwaldoe July 26, 2013 at 12:20 am

I’m still waiting on a darktower movie….. I hate remakes and would not want to see either IT or Pet Semetary remade. Watching Under the dome, I now realize that people should stop ripping off stephen king books…. this adaptation is horrendous. The only similarities between the book and the show is the name. Cell would be a good one to do, I like zombie movies.

19. wetshavingwaldoe July 26, 2013 at 12:24 am

I agree with above poster who said Talisman. Also would like to see the sequel to that

• DENNIS QUINN July 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I READ SOMEWHERE, THAT RON HOWARD WAS INTERESTED IN DOING A “DARK TOWERS” MOVIE. ACTUALLY THE ARTICLE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT DOING ONE OR TWO MOVIES, THEN DOING A TV MINI-SERIES & FINISHING IT UP WITH ANOTHER MOVIE. I DON’T LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT AT ALL. IF YOU’RE GOING TO DO IT, DO IT RIGHT. IT DOES’NT HAVE TO BE 7 MOVIES, LIKE’ LORD OF THE RINGS ‘( although i would’nt mind that at all ) I THINK YOU COULD CAPTURE THE HEART AND SOUL OF THE LANDSCAPE “AND” THE CHARACTERS, IF DONE BY THE RIGHT SCREENWRITER AND DIRECTOR, IN 4 MOVIES. KINGS FANS ARE LEGION, AND THE STUDIOS COULD MAKE A FORTUNE, AND WE COULD GET TO SEE THE GREATEST KING’STORY’,MADE INTO THE GREATEST KING’MOVIE’EVER.
          I’M JUST THINKING OUT LOUD.DISCUSS AMONG YOURSELVES. D.Q.

20. sadie July 27, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Really I liked the movie, it.

21. troy j August 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

I would love to see any remakes, maybe not the shining but even stephen king wasnt happy with the original film, i agree with an earlier post that todays tech has caught up enough to make his works come to life. My favourite books are the dark tower books, ive read all of them 3 times in the last 6 years i still find new things or put more connections together.

22. cyndi smalley August 10, 2013 at 1:39 am

No one is metioning the “shining” remake with Steven weber, the little boy was creepier then the original

23. systemofaclown August 10, 2013 at 2:34 am

I am immediately suspicious of any studio that turns down Guillermo del Toro, especially for a horror film. That’s like wanting to direct an abstract, art-house film, and deciding that David Lynch isn’t the right choice.

• Deadpoolio September 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I’m immediately suspicious of any studio that actually wants to use Guillermo Del Toro….Outside of the first Hellboy and Pan’s Labyrinth everything he has made sucked….Don’t be afraid of the Dark…..Terrible, Mimic…..Terrible….Blade II good god was it bad…….Pacific Rim is OK sort of….Even Hellboy 2 was pretty bad

24. DENNIS QUINN August 10, 2013 at 8:11 am

YOU’RE RIGHT, “SYSTEM”, I THINK GUILLERMO WOULD DO JUSTICE TO ANY MOVIE HE WAS INVOLVED IN, WHETHER AS WRITER,PRODUCER,OR DIRECTOR. THE MAN IS A GIANT TALENT.WE SHOULD PROBABLY BE GLAD THEY PASSED ON HIM, BECAUSE THEY WOULD’VE BEEN HASSELING HIM OVER CUTS IN THE FILM,OR GOING OVER BUDGET. . . OR SOME KIND OTHER KIND OF STUDIO B.S. THAT WOULD HAVE RUINED THE FILM. AND I LIKE DAVID LYNCH TOO. I THINK A GREAT STEPHEN KING PROJECT FOR HIM WOULD BE “INSOMMIA”. A WEIRD STORY. . . FOR A WEIRD GUY.

25. stefanie September 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I would love to seen insomnia made into a movie.
        And for remakes, the shining, I absolutely love the remake, it was more like the book. Don’t get me wrong the original with jack Nicholson was awesome hut definitely liked the send better.

26. Kermet Merl Key September 29, 2013 at 9:31 pm

FIRESTARTER is overdue for a remake. CHRISTINE would be hard to remake, it still holds up with time, but it is about due. CUJO would be nice to see a remake, but again, it holds up pretty well. I’d like to see better versions of THE STAND and THE TOMMYKNOCKERS. I’d still like to see an adaptation of THE TALISMAN and DARK HOUSE.

27. Kara The Tattooed Freak September 29, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I would like to see From A Buick 8 be made into a movie.

28. Jennacide September 30, 2013 at 12:53 am

I love both IT and Pet Semetary… Tim Curry is awesome as Pennywise, and the Zelda character in Pet Semetary is creepy as hell… but personally I’m pumped to see new adaptations of these classic novels… I wouldn’t even call them remakes b/c the books came first… they are simply new visions of the same source material… which, frankly, could be AMAZING… I haven’t read IT, but I’ve read Pet Semetary, and there was A LOT of cool and scary shit that was left out of the movie… in fact, the whole ending was different… so I can’t wait to see how someone else takes on such terrifying and brilliant material!!

29. Rob OConnor September 30, 2013 at 5:05 am

How is it that only ONE comment mentions The Eyes of the Dragon? I think that with the right people involved, this could be a GREAT movie…I guess the question is, who would the right people be?

30. Kay October 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm

How does no one mention The Stand? King’s two largest and hailed as the greatest he has ever written – IT and The Stand. Both my favorites. I love them for the depth, however. I love the characters and the story – you can’t get inside a characters head on the big screen like a book. I wouldn’t be so emotionally vested in a remake – but I would love to see it!!! The originals did the true story no justice. And on an opposite note – I hope they never remake The Body – or “Stand By Me”, rather. That movie was beautiful.

31. SarahBeth October 29, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I agree that the originals were not that good. IT was so far off from the book, it was laughable and the end ruined the whole movie. The acting was also tremendously poor in both IT and Pet Semetary. Stephen King movies are only good when they are closely associated with the book and in my opinion, when Stephen King has a hand in the screen play. The Shining with Jack Nicholson would have been much better had it stayed truer to the book. The remake of The Shining, a miniseries for TV, while much scarier because it did stay true to the book had horrible acting. Another problem with many remakes of horror films today is that there is just too much gore and too much given away. Gore and a spelled out story line are not scary. The beauty of Stephen King novels is that they mess with your head…. so if remakes stay true to the books and try not to give the whole story away through poor lines, I am all on board.

• chadastewart February 22, 2014 at 1:34 am

The only person that could act in the original was jack. Rebecca and courtland were really good in remake and Steven weber was scary

32. Marz December 5, 2013 at 12:47 am

The Talisman… Its sequal Black House..and of course..Insomnia. Dark Tower would be awesome as movies on the big screen. Maybe done by Peter Jackson or Spielberg..

• Brad Walker March 22, 2014 at 4:50 am

Dark tower man the train the gun slinger I always pictured him looking like cash the stampede

33. Lorne December 11, 2013 at 2:01 am

If IT is written/directed properly i think you will see a much different movie.. there is so much material to choose from in this book you could make a new movie unique from the original..In the original IT the first part was excellent then the second part was just stupid…** please don’t let whoever cast the original in the room.. John Boy! c’mon! Night Court Judge!! that just killed it.. could have been so much better.. well i hope they picked the right director, my first pick would be G. Del Toro or R. Zombie he’s got some scary clown experience..

An adaptation of ‘The Long Walk’ would probly be a cash cow with the Hunger Games being so popular.. I would like to see The Stand remade but the original ‘Trashcan Man’ gotta be in it! lol!

34. Randall December 24, 2013 at 3:25 am

It should be way longer and detailed and Christine Id like to see redone by on a much bigger scale .

35. chadastewart February 22, 2014 at 1:30 am

I love Stephen kings books. Movies are good but it’s nice to see a new adaptation of the movie. The tv version of the shining I liked better Rebecca demornay as Wendy and courtland mead as Danny was great and Steven weber was scary.

36. pat richard March 29, 2014 at 10:39 pm

A careful remake of “the stand”

37. angie May 15, 2014 at 12:06 am

I loved how tim curry made pennywise come to life. He made him super creepy and had me unable to sleep for a couple if days. But i hope that they make these classic films good and not mess up.

38. TheOtherCandy June 3, 2014 at 6:12 am

The one that really should be a movie is Rose Madder…

39. Roberta Overbaugh June 18, 2014 at 3:12 am

I am not crazy about remakes, but I do think they should go through the writer and the writers agent to get permission to do so.

40. Chuck S. June 30, 2014 at 5:25 pm

There are few Stephen King movies that couldn’t be improved by quality remakes…especially the TV miniseries. Tommyknockers…blech. IT was awful, other than Tim Curry. The Stand was a disappointment in almost every way. Don’t get me started on the feature films: Dreamcatcher, Hearts in Atlantis, The Running Man, etc., etc., etc.
        The Shawshank Redemption and The Shining are two high water marks, and of those two, one is non-horror and the other is almost completely removed from the source material.
        The Stand needs to be redone as an HBO, Showtime serial, with a decent budget and no restrictions. I would subscribe solely based on this project. I felt the same way about WWZ.

41. Chris helfrick July 6, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Please, please someone do a Talisman movie! Why people aren’t killing themselves to get the rights to this is beyond me. The great story, characters, the special effects that could be done with modern tech, I just don’t get it!

• Rob July 7, 2014 at 2:49 am

Agreed!!! Next to The Stand, the Talisman is my favorite King story (with Peter Straub, of course)…It would be a really hard story to tell on the screen, but with the things they can do with computers now, I think it could be GREAT…