The Creature From the Black Lagoon Remake? Yep Its Happening!

Herner Klenthur 61 Comments Movie Page: Creature From the Black Lagoon (2014)

Today one of our readers mentioned that they thought a remake of The Creature from the Black Lagoon would be well received by horror fans. I figured I would take a minute and point out that the movie is being remade.

It was announce well over a year ago the remake was in the works via Variety so those of you asking today if it will be remade, the answer is YES.

The last word was that Breck Eisner (Sahara) is set to be in the director’s chair to helm Universal’s remake of “Creature From the Black Lagoon” and that Gary Ross (the son of Arthur A. Ross who wrote the original) will be writing the screenplay.

Ben Chapman’s (one of the orginal Gill-Man) website also at the time of our original news article posted an update concerning the status of the remake, here’s what they had to say:

“We have great news. The Creature from the Black Lagoon remake has just become a green lit project at Universal Studios.  The script has already been written (by Gary Ross, a relative of the original screenwriter for the original film) and a director –Brett Rattner– has been assigned to the project. We will keep you up to date on the details as they come in.”

So where is the project now? The original news announcing it was years ago and since then its been ‘in development’.  Rest assured with all the classic remakes of Frankenstein, The Mummy the remake of Creature From the Black Lagoon will come it is just a matter of time.

The Creature From the Black Lagoon Remake? Yep Its Happening!

Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time

1. Chris Reid December 4, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Come the fuck on already!

2. David Schmidt December 4, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Why?

3. Rich Harris December 4, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Horrible idea.

4. Lee Bohen December 4, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Watch this B-movie classic get ruined

5. Karen Evans December 5, 2013 at 12:00 am

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of.. :(

6. Karen Jordan December 5, 2013 at 12:00 am

Nooooooo

7. Cynthia Roelofs December 5, 2013 at 12:01 am

love horror movies LOL

8. Richard Humphries December 5, 2013 at 12:05 am

oh sweet onion teriyaki sauce….honestly I was really interested when Breck Eisner was attached; his remake of ‘The Crazies’ was quite good and his entry into ‘Fear Itself’ was one of the strongest episodes. Brett Ratner however?! NO INTEREST.

9. Auty Knight December 5, 2013 at 12:06 am

NO. This is my favorite horror movie of all time. People need to start coming up with their own damn ideas for movies, instead of remaking everything that’s already been done! It’s really not that hard.

• deego May 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm

auty, if u think its not hard , think again theres been so many movie making over the past fifty years material is hard to find, good material that is, but it can be done.

10. Denise Ray December 5, 2013 at 12:09 am

This movie scared my until I was 16. No way to do a good remake.

11. Travis Crawford December 5, 2013 at 12:11 am

Universal Pictures is actually planning on remaking all the original monsters, actually. Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, the Invisible Man, and Creature from the Black Lagoon. Not sure if they’re doing anything with Phantom of the Opera.

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca December 5, 2013 at 12:33 am

and most are in the works already :)

• Christopher Drew Montealegre December 5, 2013 at 1:57 am

hope they don’t suck ass

12. John Schwegerl December 5, 2013 at 12:13 am

Boooooo

13. Bblgm Pink December 5, 2013 at 12:17 am

The only reason this is a good idea is because creature is hot. I’m only excited to see what he looks like. I’ll probably just pine for the original. <3

14. Robert H. Gwinn December 5, 2013 at 12:19 am

Actually, I have to defend this. I hate to say it. Normally I am against remakes. But as they tend to happen anyhow, I made a rule. If it was made more than 50 years ago I have decided to be okay with it. If told right, it could be great, plus most of today’s younger audience will NEVER choose to give the original a fair shake on their own. The one good thing the reboot of the Mummy franchise did, was make more younger people get turned onto the original, and that at least, helps preserve those older films for the next generation. Now if Hollywood would follow the same 50 year rule, these remakes might not be too upsetting. It’s the reboots of movies like DREAD, Footloose, Red Dawn, Robocop, Total Recall, and Mad Max (Films that still stand up pretty well today) that piss me off.

15. Robert H. Gwinn December 5, 2013 at 12:21 am

One more thing. If you are a FAN of J.J. Abrahams Star Trek Films and you are bitching here, then you are a hypocrite and can now shut up. Thank you.

16. Aije Eday Abit December 5, 2013 at 12:28 am

Shokoy bayan . ?

17. Daniela Carvalho December 5, 2013 at 12:35 am

Renato

18. Ann Hale December 5, 2013 at 12:35 am

Jillian Christina Tanya Swift

19. Phillip L Hall Sr. December 5, 2013 at 12:43 am

Whittney Powell you have been in the water to long don’t you think so Alan Vonda

20. Robert Hogan December 5, 2013 at 12:50 am

Boooooooo!

21. Claire Hannah Durrell December 5, 2013 at 1:07 am

Saw the outfit for this in universal studios last year :)

22. Selina Marie Hope December 5, 2013 at 1:09 am

No cgi please I hope if this is done they do it like tge Monster Squad creature which was awesome.

23. Jillian Christina Tanya Swift December 5, 2013 at 1:23 am

Ann Hale been a rumor for years, not holding my breathe ;)

• Ann Hale December 5, 2013 at 1:23 am

Alright hahaha I instantly thought of you when I saw this.

24. Jillian Christina Tanya Swift December 5, 2013 at 1:25 am

Thank you! He is my favorite, if they served him justice I wouldn’t be so upset but nowadays it’s doubtful.

25. Joe Minicilli December 5, 2013 at 1:39 am

Dread was better than the original, Mad Max is actually a sequel AND is directed by George Miller, same as the originals. If done right, this could be good.

26. Jeanette Lucero December 5, 2013 at 1:50 am

My daughter and I were just talking about this yesterday. I had told her I thought that it would be fantastic if, The Creature From The Black Lagoon would be re-made. With the special fxs of today and the computer fx it could be awesome!!!!!! Now this being posted today! I’m excited! I was about 7 or 8 when the original came out and, my Mom and Dad took me to see it. I can hardly wait til the re-make is released! I’ll be one of the first, in line to see it!!!!!!!!!!

27. Joseph Lee December 5, 2013 at 2:06 am

Perhaps, but can’t nor won’t be like the original.

28. Kira Ashley Marie Andrews December 5, 2013 at 2:10 am

Stop remakes

29. Pete Howard December 5, 2013 at 2:10 am

Cant wait! this movie was my childhood horror!

30. Barry Smith December 5, 2013 at 2:53 am

Nothing is sacred anymore

31. Jefferson Salazar December 5, 2013 at 3:06 am

not a good idea.!

32. Michael D Stewart December 5, 2013 at 3:28 am

It might not be so bad if they promote it as a special anniversary type of thing for the movies.

33. Camilo Patrick Garcia December 5, 2013 at 3:34 am

..Yeaaaah, I’ll believe it when I see it. There have been so many planned remakes to this film, going back decades, but none of those ever materialized. (Though I know that with the ’80s project, Universal decided to go ahead with JAWS 3-D instead). Guillermo Del Toro’s ideas for the last proposed remake were the most interesting, and I know he would have paid respect to the material..but he’s clearly nowhere to be seen here.

I know it was bound to happen eventually (I’m pretty sure he’s the only classic Universal monster that hasn’t had a remake yet), but..*insert expected nerd rage about why remakes are bad, m’kay*

34. Warwick Tape December 5, 2013 at 3:38 am

Good shit!!! Loved the original!!!!

35. Alec Cizak December 5, 2013 at 3:42 am

Wasn’t Humanoids from the Deep a remake of this? (Just kidding)

36. Brian Long December 5, 2013 at 4:37 am

The movies that got me started on horror as a child, can’t wait.

37. Sully Perkins December 5, 2013 at 7:10 am

38. Glen Lentz December 5, 2013 at 8:18 am

I’m not against it as long as they stick closely to how these original characters looked and it would be nice not to give it the Michael Bay treatment as well for example, throwing in horribly written cliche characters, Megan Fox, and stupid slapstick humor but the monster character appearance is a big thing. If you’re going to remake these movies, the looks of them shouldn’t be changed, I mean, it would be like changing the Enterprise in Star Trek and I’m thankful they didn’t do that. They still stuck closely with the original idea.

39. Larry Brown December 5, 2013 at 8:33 am

No thanks.

40. RJ De Wit December 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

I hoped that they were safe. How naive. Here comes another bunch of generic action horror movies.

41. Ken Gibbs December 5, 2013 at 9:52 am

Keep it black an white with special effects

42. Devaki Singh December 5, 2013 at 10:36 am

My Fave creature film. Dont change the creature!

43. Christine Honney December 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm

They’d better not muck it up………..

44. S. December 5, 2013 at 1:38 pm

…probably with some ugly ass CGI Gillman… no, thank you…

45. James Brandenstein December 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm

It’ll BOMB !!!

46. Lis December 5, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I really hope they do it this time and as others have said, stick as close to the original creature as possible. This is way overdue. As far as the Dread remake…the remake itself was very good, but the actor who played Dread was just awful. They should’ve brought Stallone back and just made a sequel.

47. Miguel Velazquez December 5, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Nah much Better Slender man, Jeff The killer or Zalgo for a movie :)

48. Dayma Torsiello December 5, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Nooooooo

49. Dean Myers December 5, 2013 at 11:34 pm

What are they running out of ideas so let’s go back and ruin all the classics. Stupid Idea most remakes are worse that the originals. I say leave them alone.

50. Andy Pritchard December 6, 2013 at 2:04 am

Damn.

51. Kenneth Tanner December 26, 2013 at 7:59 am

I can’t believe that they are actually remaking this movie.
        THIS IS SO MESS UP !!! The original one was great. Well hopefully when the film is being remade I hope they don’t change the creature too much. I don’t understand can they just make another sequel to the movie like for instance Texas Chainsaw Massacre the one with Trey songz they had it continue from the classic version and they kept it like it was the original and not only that plus they had the killer and the storyline and everything that was like in the original. If they want to make another Creature from the Black Lagoon film they should do the same thing as they way they did with the texas chainsaw massacre movie like they can just continue the series. Also keep the same looking of the creature the same like the original and just put the make up on and up the make and the same original face on the actors face. Another words have the exact original face from the 1954 version and make the face up just exactly like the original.
        If so happen the worse they can do is put the Creature on CGI.
        FOR GOD SAKES DON’T PUT THE CREATURE ON CGI !!!

52. Teaquan Austin December 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is so messed up!!!
        I love this film, this film a members of my childhood. I think it’s scary enough and it’s fine the way it is. LEAVE MY FAVORITE CLASSICS ALONE !!! I use to be scared of this movie when I was a kid. They fucked up so many great classic movies and it just sucks. I like the fact of what Kenneth said keep have the same face like the original and don,t change it. If you guys want to make another movie, please have a sequel and keep everything like the original.
        Damn you UNIVERSAL STUDIOS STOP MESSING WITH THE CLASSIC !!!!!

53. Film Fan January 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I wish they would make this already been waiting too long, now would be the perfect time with Godzilla coming out and a new Jurassic park on the way. I would love to see a new take on it maybe have a spaceship land on another planet like earth and they find a reptilian creature and try to bring it back to earth or something like that. but a remake is needed for this one.

54. s.j. January 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

Huge fan of the original, and like everyone else I’m sick of the remakes………but, for some reason I’ve got a feeling this one will be good.

55. Steven L Rowe January 26, 2014 at 2:47 am

Could be good. Depends on the changes they make and don’t make.

As a writer, I have long toyed with the idea of a re-write of the story, with a view to making it at least two if not three novels.

As a movie, I would keep most of the original the same, even perhaps to keeping it in the ’50s. The biggest change would come at the end, where the slain creature, sinking to the bottom of the lagoon, is taken by two more of its kind further upstream to where the expedition never reached.

As the Rita limps towards civilization, we see the dead creature carried into a remote lake isolated from all human contact, were others of the species swim. And half sunk in the lake, covered in vines and the debris of more than a hundred thousand years, the massive, decayed bulk of a wrecked interstellar craft that has rotten while the descendants of the crew degenerated on a strange and hostile planet.

The second novel–or movie–pretty much writes itself from that stepping off point.

56. 1931 Productions March 18, 2014 at 1:14 am

Check out this awesome Creature From The Black Lagoon poster for our tribute to St. Patty’s Day! http://1931productions.com/post/79918394503/happy-saint-pattys-day-to-ya

57. RJ Grady July 10, 2014 at 2:06 pm

If they do remake it, it would be killer to have this tune in it~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb1hrwoEAks