Updates on “The Purge 2″, “Friday the 13th”, and “Nightmare on Elm Street”

Jason McDonald 25 Comments Movie Page: Friday The 13th (2015) Movie Page: The Purge: Anarchy

This post is an update bananza, everything must go! In an interview with Crave Online, producer Brad Fuller opened up about the future of some of their horror franchises.  Among the mentioned films include “The Purge 2″, “Friday the 13th”, and “Nightmare on Elm Street”.

You can read the whole interview here or journey down below to see some choice tidbits plucked from the interview.

Earlier this week I speculated that “The Purge 2″ would be given a much larger setting than what we saw in the first film.  So much so, that it might change the tone of the film.  It seems like that speculation might be heading in the right direction.  Here’s what Brad had to say about the upcoming sequel.

. . . the sequel to The Purge delivers on the promise of the original in that we’re not staying in the house. It’s not a home invasion movie. This is you’re out in the streets with people purging and a group of people who get stuck in the middle of it and have to get from point A to point B.

And what of the lead actor Frank Grillo?  What sort of role will he play in this new film?  Fuller describes him as being “. . . a grizzled guy who’s on a mission and he’s the strong, silent type who kind of discovers a misfit group of people who he helps out.”

From there the conversation steers towards “Friday the 13th”.  Over the past few months and weeks there’s been growing rumors that the next film in the series will be done in the style of “found footage” films.  Is there any truth to the rumor?  Fuller gives a bit of clarity on the issue.

It’s something that we’re looking at, yeah. I never know because it depends on the story and what the story is. It’s been reported, that’s something that we’re looking into but I can’t tell you definitively that that’s what the movie is.

When asked about the possibility of Derek Mears returning to the role of Jason, Fuller remarked that “I don’t know because I don’t know if we’re going to have Jason, I don’t know which Jason we’re going to have.”  Now, don’t get too excited, Fuller might’ve simply misspoke.  There’s precedent for the “Friday the 13th” series not featuring a real Jason, but I feel pretty certain that’s not what he meant here.

And, finally, Fuller touched on another franchise that has been dormant for a while now: “Nightmare on Elm Street.”

You know what? I haven’t heard a thing. It’s a little bit disappointing. We were very proud of that movie. It was Rooney Mara’s first starring role. In terms of pure box office, I think that’s our highest grossing film worldwide. I’d love to do another one but I feel that way about all of our films. We don’t jump into these films unless we actually loved the characters or the story. I’d love to make Freddy Krueger movies every couple years. It’d be fantastic.

With nothing in the pipeline for Freddy Krueger, it might be some time before we hear anything about him again.  It’s unfortunate, but with the last film receiving a divided reception it might be best that Freddy is taking a long sabbatical.  With time, someone might find the proper way to bring that film series back to it’s roots.

Updates on The Purge 2, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims Most Disturbing Horror Movies 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Matt Wilson January 13, 2014 at 5:18 am

Purge 2 doesn’t need to exist. The first one didnt even need to exist .

• Omar Carbona
          Omar Carbona January 13, 2014 at 5:26 am

Agreed.

• Terry Case
          Terry Case January 13, 2014 at 6:20 am

I love the first one and can’t wait for part 2.

2. Matt January 13, 2014 at 5:31 am

The 13th Friday the 13th movie without a Jason….unacceptable by all means. I’m on board with found footage and another reboot…however, taking out Jason you’re pretty much making it the TV series….which though good, doesn’t deserve the Friday the 13th name.

• MANLEY7878 February 13, 2014 at 12:50 am

Right they need to keep Jason in there 100%.

3. William Driver January 13, 2014 at 5:40 am

If Jason ain’t in Friday the 13th I ain’t watching it

4. Larry Brown January 13, 2014 at 5:52 am

the first Friday the 13th didn’t have Jason in the way most people see him. that being said the remake & the nightmare remake were both awful. they don’t need follow ups from the same people that made them.

5. Randy Russell January 13, 2014 at 6:19 am

Purge 2-too soon. Friday the 13th new reboot a bad idea especially going the found footage route. Make direct sequel to Marcus Nispel’s movie and bring back Tommy Jarvis. New Freddy sequel, set it in Westin Hills and have Nancy and Quentin join up with a new version of Kristen, Kincaid and Joey. Come on Hollywood. Wake up.

6. Justin Evans January 13, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’d say if Jason isn’t going to be in the new Friday the 13th reboot,it’s going to be his mother

7. Levi Everaerts January 13, 2014 at 7:08 am

I’m cool with The Purge 2, I’m cool with found footage F13 even without Jason, but what did they not learn from the NOES reboot? It sucked, and even Rooney Mara decided to suck on purpose. “It’s her first role.” Well, Johnny Depp had his first role in the original, no one seems to care about that. I’d rather see Rob Zombie do a Halloween 3
        then see another NOES installment again.

• Jim VanBebber January 13, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Wow you have the worst taste in horror than anybody I have ever found on here. Purge 1, awful Hollywood liberal garbage, Found footage Fri 13th terrible, without Jason even worse, And Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 was the worst horror movie ever created. The only thing you got right was that elm st remake sucked big time. You need to go back to horror 101 class and take it again bro.

8. Randy Polk January 13, 2014 at 8:33 am

The cast and crew of Purge One should have been purged.

9. Riley (@RileyAnonymity) January 13, 2014 at 8:34 am

Look, I believe they can do a reboot for Nightmare on Elm Street correctly if they just ignore that awful origin story crap and actually try to create new and creative nightmares for new characters not hollowed-out versions of previous characters.

10. Brad Havens January 13, 2014 at 9:10 am

Purge needs purged.

11. Michiel January 13, 2014 at 10:15 am

The Nightmare on Elm Street reboot was beyond bad! How blind is Brad Fuller?? Everything about it sucked and the whole world agreed on that, accept mr.Fuller? A Friday the 13th without Jason is like watching a Child’s Play movie without Chucky, don’t even bother! I didn’t hate the remake of Friday the 13th, so they could continue with some minor adjustments? (like Jason doesn’t take prisoners, he just butchers the crap out of everyone ;)) And for the Purge, ..well it wasn’t my kind of movie, it looked like a movie with so much potential but they failed to deliver.

• John March 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Nightmare on elm street remake was awesome and everyone knows it hate all u want and I am ready for another. Bring on part trek with Jackie and mrs Rooney.

12. Slugular the Creeping Menace January 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I’m not sure that the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot got a divided reception. Pretty much everybody hated it. I do appreciate how diplomatically you said that though :D I’m not against the reboots of these franchises in principle. But most of them have been done so badly, it kinda makes you wary.

13. Hellsing ThirteenThirteen January 13, 2014 at 2:06 pm

No,Brad Fuller….a new piece of shit Nightmare On Elm Street every few years would not be a blast.

14. Jeff January 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I though The Purge was a great concept that fell completely flat. I hope the sequal does what the first should have been. Put into a situation like that while being stuck in the streets? Talk about tension. On another note, a Friday reboot may be a fresh start for the franchise. Delving deeper into the childhood of Jason leading up to that fateful day where he drowned may be interesting. Seeing a brief glimpse of the necronomicon in Jason Goes to Hell could be used to finally explain the origins of the unstoppable killing machine..if we see Mrs. Voorhees use it new film. So many possibilities…please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don’t f*** this one up

15. Rick January 13, 2014 at 2:44 pm

No Robert Englund, no interest in a new nightmare movie. Purge don’t, don’t care. Friday… keep Michael Bay away.

16. Jamie Cee January 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm

If there r got new reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street then bring back Robert Englund as Freddy Kruger.

17. Elizabeth Bundt January 13, 2014 at 6:47 pm

If I never see another Nightmare on Elm street it will be too soon.

18. Swizz January 13, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Friday the 13th without Jason is just as bad as Friday the 13th found footage…. And Freddy needs to come back!!! Purge 2 would be way better out in the mix of the chaos !!!!

19. Phil Greco January 13, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Nightmare on Elm Street was already destroyed. Please, don’t kick a franchise when it’s down!!