People Who Hate Remakes are Homophobic

Herner Klenthur 15 Comments

People Who Hate Remakes are HomophobicThat headline you are reading is exactly what I read on Tumblr from AMC Movies Editor in Chief John Campea and boy is it some great click bait. So good in fact hear I am writing about it.

John Campea whom I like a lot and respect currently has a hard on for movie fans who insist on trashing remakes. According to John Campea those of us who hate horror movie remakes are homophobic or at least he is making a comparison between remake haters and people who hate homosexual people. He writes quote;

“Ok I get it, you don’t like gay stuff. But who cares? How does it effect YOU in any way if Man A and Man B want to get married? How does it impose anything upon you if somewhere in the city 2 men are having sex? How does 2 women in love having the right to marry have ANY impact on you and your life?”

John then goes on to make the comparison that being homophobic is the same as hating remakes writing quote;

“Ok I get it, you don’t like remakes. But who cares? How does it effect YOU in anyway if Studio A or Studio B want to make a remake of a classic? How does it impose anything upon you if somewhere in the city 2 people want to watch a Gone With The Wind remake? How does a remake of a movie you like impact on you and your life?”

I like John Campea a lot and actually he makes a very interesting comparison here but I still think its off base and sure to piss off movie fans.

As much as I like the comparison in that it makes you think I think comparing love or hatred towards a remake to a homosexual relationship is like comparing my love of movie prequels to me being a racist.

I love prequels but I am far from a racist.

I like remakes when they offer a new vision on the original and I hate remakes that do nothing but destroy my memories with overuse of cgi and leading ladies that offer nothing but youth, big breasts and pearly white veneers.

John makes a great point on why do movie fans hate remakes and I think the answer is simple. As horror fans in particular we have fond memories of the first time we saw Friday the 13th, Halloween and Evil Dead to name just a few and the concept of somebody trampling on the magic of that experience by recasting, rewriting or altering the story upsets fans.

We treat our movie experiences as treasured life experiences and expect that the generations after us including producers and directors will honor them as much as we do.

Horror remakes do not impact me in any way but they do alter the landscape of the genre that we all love. There are droves of young horror fans who never experienced the original Nightmare on Elm Street and there only memory of that great icon is the abomination that was released in 2010.

I do not like the comparison John is using but I do think he is onto something and if anything it will drive some dialogue.

Do you find the comparison of horror remake haters to haters of gay rights thought provoking? Do you find it nothing but click bait? Or like me do you think it is a little bit of both?

30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time Most Disturbing Horror Movies

1. akeebanews June 8, 2014 at 9:52 pm

It’s great click-bait, and I think he has a point in that both are about people getting passionately upset over things which don’t affect them in the slightest. Remakes are fine with me, because they tend to be targeted at people who are too young to appreciate the “greatness” and “historical import” of some of the movies I grew up with, and would never want to see them because they haven’t aged well.

And you know what? When I was a kid, I loved the 1958 Hammer remake of “Dracula” — in bloody color — and found the 1931 version stodgy and boring, much to my mother’s chagrin. It’s no different today, as not only are FX better, but the very syntax of filmmaking has shifted from the 1970s-early 1980s films which are currently being remade.

Editing is different, pacing is different, even the lengths of individual shots are different, and I’ve come to realize that our classics look just as creaky to this generation as the moldy Monogram/PRC/Republic movies did to us.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur June 8, 2014 at 9:53 pm

great comment! You said it even better than I did.

• Quagg June 9, 2014 at 6:19 am

Agree 100%, thanks for getting here first!

2. Paul Reeves June 8, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Frankly, comparing homophobia to people not liking remakes is ignorant. Homophobia is a very real issue in our society that leads to bullying, discrimination, self-hatred, and violence. I get the whole “these things don’t affect you” comparison, and I agree that remake hate is often misguided/irrelevant, but no one loses their rights when they make the fifth Friday the 13th reboot. I’m not accusing Campea of being homophobic but you don’t get to use decades and decades of struggle for basic human acceptance to someone not liking your movie.

3. Monster Mary (@DirtyGirlReview) June 8, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Actually remakes do affect me and other die hard Horror Fans in a non direct manner. Almost every newbie Horror fan starts out watching the shiny new remakes instead of watching the originals first. But because they have watched the remake it completely spoils the original for them when they do get around to watching it eventually. By then, the originals are not gory enough or don’t have enough jump scares to keep them interested. Plus they already know how the story is going to end. I quite often hear from new fans that the originals are “boring”. Well, of course it’s boring when you already know what is going to happen! As an old school Horror fan, I feel the obligation to tell people to make sure they watch the original first. That way the remake is the one spoiled for them and not the original!

The most recent remake I watched was Carrie. And even though it was a very good remake, I already knew the story. I loved the original and the actors that were in it. I can’t help but compare the two films while watching the newer version. It will never live up to the original because I watched it at about 10 years old when Horror films were still scary for me. I’m not saying that some remakes don’t surpass the original. But let’s face it, those are few and far between.

And as for using a homophobic comparison to make the point that remakes are acceptable is just ignorant.

4. vedus June 9, 2014 at 1:08 am

The original author is an idiot. Drawing equivalency between being passionately against remakes and being homophobic is one of the most moronic things I’ve read in a ridiculous amount of time.

1. Let’s ignore all the bullshit and go right to the bottom of it; he’s comparing what amounts to a human rights issue versus the rights of “artists” to make art without being criticized for it. How about you go drown in a barrel of fucking misery. If anyone is a homophobe (not really) it’s this trumpeting asshole for spraying this kind of insensitive shit across the fucking internet.

2. Remakes don’t affect anyone? How about the fans who would rather see original fucking content that are instead limited to the amount of releases that come out each year because “artists” (business men) feel the best way to express their “art” (revenue generation) is to feed off the corpse of something else that has been more successful than they’ve been.

3. Fuck this guy. Seriously, there is no fucking world where this guy should be taken seriously ever again. He’s clearly not capable of even baseline logical thinking and/or thinks the fan base are fucking morons who will swallow whatever drek he’s will to parcel out. His argument is fallacious on the face of it that the only reasonable answer is, “Fuck this guy.”

4. That (not really) in headline is proof that he’s know it’s bullshit, but he fire on ahead with anyone. Because, hey, clickbait headlines with poorly written content that drive traffic are more important than the ability to convey a logical point in a constructive manner that isn’t fucking offensive. Christ, what an asshole.

• Non-Euclidean June 9, 2014 at 4:40 am

Amen!

And of course he conveniently forgets that gay horror fans exist and there are remake haters amongst us as well. Really all one needs to destroy his argument.

• Paul Reeves June 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm

*slow clap*

5. winston June 9, 2014 at 4:55 pm

true . the problem is grown men and women in their mid 40s and 50s whining each time a movie or tv show from the era they grew up in gets rebooted . remakes are made for new audiences. they’re not made for the same audience that watched them when they first debuted and hoping they can still jack off to the hot girl or guy they fell in love with

6. winston June 9, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Carrie (2013), & Red Dawn (2012) were both better than the originals IMO

• vedus June 9, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Two (subjective) examples do not make a justification.

• Caretaker August 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm

And in my opinion you are clearly a moron with zero taste.

7. Tiago June 10, 2014 at 5:43 pm

First of all there is no logical argumentation in those questions presented at the quote. I mean, if man A kills man B, and this has no direct effect over man C, that doesn’t make it ok. I am not comparing, just saying, this is not an argument, it is an emotional figure of speech.
        Second, there is an ocean separating people who hate homosexuals from those who oppose gay marriage, which may be seen as a semantic impossibility.

The comparison is valid only the sense that remake-phobic is a tendency of thought, not a real pathology.

8. Dagrind June 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I just don’t even know what to say about this. The comparison is extremely poor. As a die hard horror fanatic I can say remakes do affect me a lot. I love showing all my friends my favourite horror movies and thrillers and if they watch a remake and dislike it, there is a larger chance they will not watch the original film. I am not saying all remakes are bad. The thing is actually one of my Favourite movies of all time. But then you take a masterpiece like Oldboy and dumb it down for an American audience… That’s just disrespectful towards Mr. Park and the cast. What a steaming pile of poop that was… People panned and slammed that movie (for good reason) but now a lot of people will miss out on the Fantastically beautiful original film because of the dirty taste this left in their mouths. My problem is with movies that do not need remakes at all… Does Oldboy really need a remake? It’s easily one of the greatest masterpieces of all time. If they remade the Sound of Music or a classic film like that I bet those film lovers would be quiet upset as well. I remember there was quite the hoopla when the Footloose movie came out.

9. SRSRSR July 24, 2014 at 9:04 am

By remaking, you’re insulting something i love by cheap sellout plots. It’s like letting a hobo fuck your wife for money.