Final Destination 6 In Jeopardy, Because of Fans

Herner Klenthur 42 Comments

Final Destination 6 In Jeopardy, Because of Fans

There is something to be said for a no nonsense approach to dealing with your fans but I wonder if blaming fans for a movies failure is a good idea.

This morning I read a rant on Facebook on the Final Destination 5 page blaming fans for stealing the movie undermining its success and putting Final Destination 6 in jeopardy. Here is what was written;

People need to stop watching bootlegged versions of the movie. Because people are watching it on the internet, that means less people saw it in theaters or will buy it on DVD and therefore the chances of FD6 are less and less. The reason why FD5 underperformed at the box office is because lots of people saw it on the internet instead of buying tickets to see it in the cinema.

If people watched it at the cinema instead of watching it on the internet, FD5 could have outperformed ‘The Final Destination’ and FD6 would have been confirmed by now. Instead the fate of FD6 is still unconfirmed and the chance of it being made is less and less. If you are a true fan of the franchise, help it out by paying a little more to see it on DVD or in theaters, not cheap versions on the internet.

I for one think that stealing a movie whether its a film you like or not is never the answer. How do we expect filmmakers to keep developing and releasing films we love if as fans we do not pay for them?

I also however did not see Final Destination 5. Not because I am not a fan of the franchise but because I can not justify spending $20 to go see a movie that would have been fun but not exactly cutting edge or original. However their are other instances where I buy everything for no other reason then to support actors and filmmakers I love.

I own every George Romero movie including the movies I felt were lackluster. I also own every single Bruce Campbell movie including some of the more dubious titles like Man With the Screaming Brain and Alien Apocalypse. Why do I own them regardless of quality? Because unlike with Final Destination I truly love George and Bruce and their work and the fact they take risks and try hard to deliver imaginative work for their fans. If I don’t buy it then how can they keep trying to do new and fun things?

The same can be said for you Final Destination 5 fans who love the franchise and bootlegged it. Did you see Final Destination 5?

Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Anonymous December 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm

What the studio don’t seem to have taken into account is the fact that the bootleggers were unlikely to have paid for the movie in any event. It’s possible that some bootleggers *might* have purchased the DVD but it’s very rare that the type of person who is happy to watch a movie online will spring for the cost of a cinema ticket. It’s only true fans of a franchise that continue to shell out for sequel after mediocre sequel.

I gave up on the franchise after the second movie and haven’t bothered since. I care so little about the series I wouldn’t bother to watch a bootleg online and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

• Matthew1987 December 11, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Good point.

There’s an extremely important fact that most people don’t realize:

If people want to pay for movies, they will.

If they don’t want to pay for movies, they won’t.

Whether or not they bootleg movies won’t change that.

By the way, Final Destination 5 was (VERY surprisingly) the best of the series by far.  It’s the only installment that critics have given overall positive reviews.

2. Optimus_past_my_Prime December 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Some people, like myself, don’t want to pay exorbitant amounts of money to see a movie. The average, per person, is around $25 which includes concession. $50 for two people to be entertained for 90 minutes is pretty steep, especially in today’s economy. Unfortunately, with this ever increasing mentality most movies don’t even make their budget back at the box office. Studios are taking huge losses and independent productions are on the rise. Take Paranormal Activity with an  estimated budget of $15,000, grossing close to $200,000,000. Now look at the sequel with an estimated budget of $3,000,000. A budget 200 times larger than the original (which in Hollywood terms wouldn’t buy distribution let alone make a film) and they still made an amazing profit. Maybe it’s time the big productions companies and all related services take a look at what they’re doing to themselves.

3. Andrew Pizzo December 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm

You know I used to do that, watch movie free online. Those crappy bootleg versions, I can’t say I didn’t but then I realized the experience of watching them at home or at the theater. Plus Blu-ray came out and that changed the way I watch movies. I haven’t watched a bootlegged movie since Dawn of the Dead and I saw that in theaters twice before I got it online. I just love the experience of watching them entire on my HDTV or in the theater. I will admit due to prices at the movies, I usually go see a movie once in a while due to the lack of entertainment anymore. I have not seen the fifth Destination but I can imagine what it’s like. I will give it a try on DVD or I might even buy so I have them all in my collection.

Also, I know how much time goes into the films, it’s not easy so I rather have the full experience and watch it instead of ripping off people.

4. Don Krouskop December 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

FD 5 grossed over $157 mil worldwide, against a production budget of $40 mil. even if they spent another $40 mil on distribution and advertising, the movie made big bucks when all was said and done… and the DVD revenues haven’t even started coming in yet. There will be an FD 6, regardless of what was posted on the official Facebook page. Now it’s certainly true that bootleggers hurt the US box-office, but the film was ultimately very profitable. Studio execs never want to talk about foreign grosses to U.S. audiences, lest they encourage more Americans to stay home. But the majority of genre/popcorn films produced nowadays rely on those foreign grosses to make a profit. PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN 4 underwhelmed in the US, but ended up breaking records with its global haul. The FAST & FURIOUS and RESIDENT EVIL movies regularly just break even here in the States, but bring in mountains of cash overseas. As long as foreign audiences are willing to pony up $100 mil plus to see teenagers slaughtered, it won’t matter if US audiences only cover production costs – the carnage will continue.

5. Wes Knipe December 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Ha ha, I love it when rich people ask me for money.

6. TheDude December 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Why not also blame all the people who didn’t spend the extra money to see it in 3D? Or why not blame the people who waited and watched the movie at their local dollar theater? This has to be the most insane thing I have ever heard!!

7. Ben Basi December 10, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I saw in 3D, i loved it, the best movie 3D experiences of my life life, i will  be buying Final destination 5 both DVD and Blu -ray that is will be my Xmas gift this year!.
        I can not wait get on Boxing day, i will first in line to get!
        Huge fan of series, but i not would not if they did make another but I Would also love to end here, i think this is the perfect ending to series.

I they will just make TV show final destination, i think that would really work!

8. Rashad J. Boyd December 10, 2011 at 11:09 pm

While I do agree that bootleggers hurt the box office results of a film, I don’t believe it’s fully to blame. I watch movies online as well, but 9 times out of 10 or each time, it’s a movie I didn’t want to see in the first place. For instance, The Change Up…didn’t look like that funny of a movie to me, and with the insane ticket prices theaters are asking for these days, there was no way I was paying $10 for a movie I didn’t want to see.

Now Final Destination 5, I definitely did download online…but I also saw it in theaters, in 3D I might add, for $15, but I’m a huge fan of the series, so I didn’t care. My point with that is there may be people who this same thing; pay for the movie in theaters as well as download it and not buy the DVD.

I would also look at this…just because The Final Destination did so well at the box office, doesn’t mean it was a good installment. In my opinion, it was terrible and many people I’ve spoken to who have seen it have actually said that because The Final Destination was so bad, they didn’t care to see a 5th one…including their frustration with the “The” portraying it to be the last one when it wasn’t.

In the end, instead of blaming just the bootleggers, there are so many aspects that are causing failure. The scripts of previous sequels, the lame comedic attempts that are tossed into a film that supposed to be creepy, the deaths scenes, the unnecessary 3D in the films just to make extra money. Maybe the production team as a whole need to rethink their thought process behind making these films and realize it’s not just us fans to blame for it’s failures.

P.S. The death scenes have become the main reason people see these films now and when they’re given away in the trailers and TV Spots, please tell me why the hell people are going to pay $14 to $20 to see it when they know exactly what will happen….?? Let’s get it together marketing team!

• Matthew1987 December 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

“the unnecessary 3D in the films just to make extra money”

Have you seen Final Destination 5 in 3D?

If you had, you wouldn’t have said that.

9. Daniel Peterson December 11, 2011 at 7:01 am

Is the Final Destination 5 really *official* or is it just run by a fan who wants it official. In other words i’m asking if someone behind the franchise actually runs the page. But my opinion here is why bitch at the fans over this i’m a die-hard fan. I paid $6.75 last August to see it and loved FD5.

I agree bootlegging is cheap and not morally right but look at our bad economy. I use to easily be able to pay to see movies years ago on a weekly basis. About ten years ago ticket prices in my town was around a buck (yes one dollar). Then it went up to $1.50 now we have fancy multiplex theaters at over six dollar. With 3D around ten bucks now back to this toipic as I said before i’m  a huge fan.

I went from owning the first three films on dvd to getting the fourth film on Blu-ray. I bought the original FD on Blu-ray in October and just last week I ordered. FD 2 and 3 on Blu-ray. I’m looking forward to FD 5′s release in 17 days which i’ll buy once it’s released (on blu-ray).

• Matthew1987 December 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

“I agree bootlegging is cheap and not morally right”

Copyright is not a moral issue.

Here’s an article that everyone should read (replace all 3 instances of “X” in the URL with “.”):

wwwXgnuXorg/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyrightXhtml

• Daniel Peterson December 12, 2011 at 5:20 am

no need to be a prick Matthew

• Matthew1987 December 12, 2011 at 7:37 am

What do you mean?  How am I a “prick”?

By the way, as I said in another comment here, I paid to see Final Destination 5 in 3D in the theater, and loved it.

10. Kelly S December 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

Maybe they should try making something original and more importantly good.  I gave up on this franchise a long time ago and rants like this make me less likely to go back to it.  They can’t just admit they made a film that not many people wanted to see can they?  That would never do!

11. Anonymous December 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hmm. I have the first 3 on dvd. I first watched them when they were shown on tv then I went to the cinema to see the 3rd with some friends.  They were great as a teen but now seeing a cast with the average age of 20, too many premonitions and trailers that show way WAY too much I’ve decided why should I, a person who makes a measly £5 an hour waste an whole weeks wages on a film that is just the same as the last one! I will admit to torrenting films but this is usually films that I wouldn’t pay to see anyway and if it really is an awesome film that I would watch again and again I go out to HMV and buy it. Plus, do we really need ANOTHER one anyway?

12. Sanjid Parvez December 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm

FD5 was better than THE FD(4) & kinda liked the little surprise at the end. I think, if they actually care for their fans instead of making some money there is no need for any more sequels. FD5 can be consider as an ‘end’ to the series.

13. Matthew1987 December 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

This is so STUPID.

“The reason why FD5 underperformed at the box office is because lots of people saw it on the internet instead of buying tickets to see it in the cinema.”

Does anyone really think that?

The actual reason why FD5 underperformed at the box office is so obvious that I can’t believe anyone would use that as an excuse.

Although the fourth Final Destination movie did very well at the box office, critics and fans alike disliked it.

For that reason, many people, including fans, decided that it wasn’t worth spending the money to see the fifth one.  Whether or not those people bootlegged it is irrelevant, because they wouldn’t have paid to see it anyway.

That was unfortunate, because FD5 was (VERY surprisingly) the best of the series by far.  (It’s the only installment that critics have given overall positive reviews.)  But it has nothing to do with bootlegging.

“My gut reaction to the post is good for them. The number of comments on the post where people admitted to boot legging Final Destination 5 is staggering.”

But as I said, do you really think that those people would have paid to see it anyway?

“I for one think that stealing a movie whether its a film you like or not is never the answer.”

It’s not theft; it’s copyright infringement.

Theft and copyright infringement are two fundamentally different things.

To anyone who thinks otherwise:

You might want to look up what the definition of “theft” is.

“How do we expect filmmakers to keep developing and releasing films we love if as fans we do not pay for them?”

Good point.  Contrary to what most people think, copyright is not a fundamental right, and does not exist for the sake of copyright holders; it is an incentive system to promote the creation of new useful works, for the sole benefit of the public.  Here is an article that everyone should read (replace all 3 instances of “X” in the URL with “.”):

wwwXgnuXorg/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyrightXhtml

“The same can be said for you Final Destination 5 fans who love the franchise and bootlegged it. Did you see Final Destination 5?”

On August 15, 2011, I paid to see FD5 in 3D in the theater, and loved it.  It was one of the most memorable experiences I’ve ever had in a theater.

I’ve also viewed parts of it bootlegged since.  But that doesn’t change the fact that I — very happily — paid to see it.

14. Matthew1987 December 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm

This is so STUPID.

Does anyone really think that?

it is irrelevant, because they wouldn’t have paid to see it anyway.

reviews.)  But it has nothing to do with bootlegging.

“The number of comments on the post where people admitted to boot legging Final Destination 5 is staggering.”

It’s not theft; it’s copyright infringement.

Theft and copyright infringement are two fundamentally different things.

To anyone who thinks otherwise:

You might want to look up what the definition of “theft” is.

15. Gary Williams December 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm

um the reason that 5 did so badly is because it sucked.

• Matthew1987 December 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm

No, as I said in one of my earlier comments, it was because the FOURTH one sucked, so many people decided not to see the fifth.

The fifth was the best of the series by far.  In fact, it’s the ONLY installment that critics have given overall positive reviews.

16. Michael Newberry December 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm

How can they blame the fans?  FD5 still made helluva money at the box office.  They are only upset because they didn’t get a big chunk of change on their paychecks.  I think someone was on their period.  They will still make FD6.  I will watch it on DVD.  I won’t buy it, but I will rent it.

17. Jeremy Ponniah January 8, 2012 at 4:19 am

This movie’s biggest audience are under 18- I myself am 16 and have been a huge fan of the series since the second movie came out. Seriously, does the writer of that comment think teenagers enjoy sitting in front of their dim computer screens watching shit quality recordings of movies they should be watching in 3D? We’re the victims, not the perpetrators.

18. Richard Davies January 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I watched it, in the cinema I might add and I loved it! I said before it came out that if anyone watches pirate copies I’ll kick their arse!

We need FD5 to be a huge success so FD6&7 would be filmed back-to-back.
        I’m really annoyed that people who call themselves fan of Final Destination watch pirate copies, come on, if you’re a fan you spare a few measly quid to watch it in the cinemas and get the film makers more money for their amazing work!
        If you’re a fan then pay for a ticket, you wouldn’t walk in a shop and take a bottle of perfume and not pay just cause you’re a fan of the makers, you need to think before you act! FD6&7 better be filmed or I will not be a happy bunny lol :P

19. Mickey Blumental January 31, 2012 at 5:20 am

I saw the 3D version in the cinema and bought the 3D Bluray which ain’t cheap, so I did my part! :-)

20. Dc Evans February 2, 2012 at 5:14 am

I had a bootleg of FD5…but that was after I saw it in theaters in 2D and then in 3D…and I only had the bootleg until my copy of FD5 Bluray/DVD combo arrived in the mail after I preordered it.  =D  See, so sometimes a bootleg just says that the person loves the movie so much that they have spent a ton of money on it and they are merely waiting for the DVD to arrive!  =D

21. Anonymous March 15, 2012 at 7:24 pm

the franchise must go in even if it has to be pushed back for me to direct when i get older

22. Anonymous March 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

FINAL DESTINATION 5  was the best in the series,and if i have to direct it when i get older i will but i have lots of ideas for 6 & 7 so let’s keep the franchise

23. Dainius Gudavicius March 17, 2012 at 7:09 am

I own all of the FD movies on dvd and some on bluray. I have never watched any movie on internet, because of the crappy quality. Now i’m looking forwart to getting FD5 and FD4 in 3D. It’s gonna be great

24. Michael Baram April 29, 2012 at 7:12 am

I am a huge fan of the series. I’ve watched each of them at least 6 times. I own every movie on DVD and Blu-ray (1-5)
        there is nothing in the world I want more then FD 6 and 7.
        PLEASE MAKE THEM

25. Paul Steven Briffett May 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Jeremy Ponniah: In the UK, the Final Destination films are all 15s.

And I admit to torrenting it because I didn’t have the time or the money to watch it in the cinema but I DID buy the DVD for ten pounds brand new. I now own all of the films on DVD because I love them.

26. Alex Hirsch July 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

I reckon there 90 minutes of fun excitement adventure horror ect: So why not pay for an extreamly enjoyable time. Beats bootlegs and watching it at home on tv or online. What beats the big screen people. If there’s any movies to watch in the cinemas it’s definetly the final destination movies. There worth every single penny dollar what ever. I went a watched Final Destination 5 three times at the movies and should of watched it more because it was a classic one of the better movies in the series but in saying that I like em all. It cost money to make a movie so if people just watch it online then there won’t be many movies made in the future. They’ll be loosing money or even if they make a profit they might just leave it at that because it’s not worth making another movie. I’m just hopeing that people understand you should support filmakers because otherwise there’s only going to be crap movies made. Cheap unentertaining low budget films. I’m not rich and work really hard at work to earn money but I’m still going to spend money on something I enjoy okay it might cost a bit to watch the movie at the cinemas but most people only watch it once. Also your paying 4 3D don’t forget! It doesn’t come cheap making movies in 3D. It’s another form of steeling and it’s wrong okay you want the movie well add least watch it first if it’s good then go get your crappy bootleg version but add least support the filmakers first before steeling there movie go watch it at the movies bye…

27. Jacob Allgeier August 8, 2012 at 1:05 am

I paid over $60 in tickets alone to see this movie (I saw it four times in IMAX 3D). With the 5 friends I brought along with me, that amounts to $135. Plus, the theater was packed every time. These people SHOULD be making bookoo bucks. The only logical explanation is pirating and watching it online.

28. Alecsander Elson August 10, 2012 at 12:04 am

I saw FD5 in Imax 3d on opening night. Then on the day that it came out on dvd, I bought the collectors edition on blu-ray. I think final destination movies are (obviously) very stupid. There is almost no plot. But most people fail to realize that the true enjoyment of final destination movies is the experience of watching it for the first time. Cinematographic-ally, these movies (with the exception of TFD) are done very well. The directers usually do a good job with suspense, anticipation, and most importantly, surprise. It can be very hard, but FD movies can be appreciated as well.

29. cyncity.org August 25, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I saw The Final Destination in 3D. Spent 24 dollars per person. It was awful and I couldn’t use the 3D glasses properly because I myself have glasses. After that, I decided I would never pay for another Final Destination again. I did see FD3 in theaters though. That was a blast and worth the money. (I also own FD1 &2 on DVD).

30. Sonya Leonard August 28, 2012 at 7:08 am

I as a fan watched in the theater when it was in 3D and purchased the blueray dvd, I truly hope they cont. to make it, i’m eager to see what and how they make them all be a part of each other

31. Eric Morgan September 30, 2012 at 4:37 am

I saw Final Destination 5 and found it to be the most original take on the story since Final Destination 2. I’m not one of those fans who buy bootlegs, but I have been guilty of watching a film online if it’s something that’s debatable as to whether I will like it or not before I buy it. To be perfectly frank, I am fairly forgiving when it comes to films. I enjoy the escapism of it all and am an avid fan of B horror movies. My collection of DVD and Blu Ray is large because of that. I’m a guy that can watch movies dozens of times and pretty much always buy them no matter what. The exception to that would be that I hate Ultraviolet Digital Copies. I think they will get around to FD6; every studio has a year when they need a “gimme” flick that they know will bring in a solid (if not spectacular) box office. Just wait and it’ll happen.

32. Amanda Baker October 7, 2012 at 2:54 am

I love all of the movies! Have every single one of them.. I on the other hand saw them all in the movie theater! ” really pumped to see final destination 6

33. Phillip March 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I think it does take away from the movies for the simple fact that your’re not giving over your money, Which leads to it’s downfall. Short and sweet “it is the fans fault”

34. Jamie June 11, 2013 at 12:11 am

@ Matthew1987 You need to get off of your high horse and stop defending this piece of crap movie. I hated 5 but am still a big fan of the original, in fact it’s a classic. 2,3,4,5 are cash ins nothing more. They don’t add anything to the formula to make it worth paying to see it. 3D yeah great now what? Just the same old same old. I’ll say it again not as many people saw the fifth is because people are getting bored now with the same thing over and over. It ‘only’ made £160 million at the box office, lol. Greedy executives. Sad that it was one of the best experiences you ever had in a theater. You need to stop watching crap. Seriously.

35. Jamie June 11, 2013 at 12:23 am

A few measly quid? Screw you. It coss $25 to see this piece of crap movie. And try to kick my ass and you’ll be picking your teeth up off the floor. Go back to watching crap again, so that this company then make more crap.

36. robbie fox July 3, 2013 at 4:26 pm

i want them to do 6 an 7 or even more love watching these films they are really excellent guys great work