I looove horror movie documentaries. While I enjoy being scared and entertained by horror films, I find myself wanting to peek behind the curtain more and learn about the various cogs and gears that need to turn in order to make a successful horror film.
Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever looks like the kind of documentary that would scratch that particular itch I have. Unfortunately, they’ve only just announced a UK release date for it. If you live across the pond you’ll be able to buy this new documentary on May 13th. Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll get with your purchase:
- Audio commentary with director/ producer Calum Waddell moderated by Justin Kerswell, author of Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut
- Additional ‘outtake’ interviews featuring Corey Feldman, Felissa Rose, J.S. Cardone, Kevin Tenney and more
- Post-screening audience Question and Answer session from the Glasgow Film Theatre featuring Slice and Dice interviewees James Moran and Norman J. Warren
- Footage from the Sitges Film Festival World Premiere
- Footage from the USA premiere at San Francisco’s Another Hole in the Head Festival
- Footage from the Scottish premiere at the Glasgow Film Theatre
- All Kinds of Twisted (Theme from Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever, performed by The Acid Fascists) music video
- Full Moon trailer park including trailers for slasher greats Tourist Trap, Puppet Master and Intruder.
- Bonus Documentary: “Don’t Go In The Backwoods” – an extensive look at the backwoods horror genre from Two Thousand Maniacs to the Hatchet series.
- Trailer Park of Legendary Slasher Titles
- Optional audio commentary with Calum Waddell and Justin Kerswell
And also a pretty long synopsis: “Ever since Alfred Hitchcock created Psycho in 1960 the story of a weapon-wielding madman – stalking and slaughtering helpless victims – has become a fixture of fear flicks and bludgeoned bombastic box office takings worldwide. Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever takes an often irreverent look at this much-maligned, and frequently misunderstood, genre with commentary from some of the form’s most celebrated filmmakers. Cutting an immediate presence on the screen, this delirious documentary delves into the history of hack ’em up cinema, investigates the rules of this teen-trepanning terror trend and even gives some pointers into how to survive a stint in the genre. Frequently funny, delightfully disgusting and always engaging, Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever is ideal viewing for anyone who has found themselves gnawing on their fingernails during a chance viewing of Black Christmas, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street or Scream. An unashamed salutation to the arterial-spraying excellence of Norman Bates, Leatherface, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger and their many plasma-packed protégés, Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever is a must-have for horror-hounds everywhere.”
Check out a trailer for the documentary below the DVD cover