George Romero Attacks The Walking Dead…. Again!

Herner Klenthur 115 Comments Movie Page: The Walking Dead

I did an article quite some time ago asking Why do horror fans hate George Romero?

I asked the question because I just don’t understand why some people give him so little respect. I feel this disrespect comes from a younger generation of horror fans who do not honor his contributions as much as us older fans do.

George Romero’s last few zombie flicks have been mere shadows of his original zombie trilogy but he is still the father of the zombie movie genre and is also one hell of a nice guy.

Nobody can take either of those titles away from him although as of late he is doing a good job of shedding the nice guy title all on his own.

Having met George Romero 3 times and interviewed him I can not emphasis enough what a humble and nice guy he was which is part of the reason I am so shocked to see so many nasty comments coming out of his mouth.

When I asked him in person what he thought of people remaking his movies and putting out garbage like Day of the Dead Contagium he was polite, respectful and a gentleman. So why all of a sudden has that changed when it comes to The Walking Dead?

Recently George Romero came under fire for attacking The Walking Dead TV show on AMC and now he is at it again. George Romero did an interview with ZRS and they asked him what he thought of Modern Zombies and The Walking Dead to which he responded;

‘first of all, just pisses me off.  I mean, we did it.  We did it, and we should have been involved if anyone was going to do it.

I am an unapologetic defender and fan of George Romero’s and even I can not defend the position that just because he is the father of the zombie genre nobody else should do it without him. It gets even weirder when you consider that the team behind The Walking Dead apparently did want to involve him and tried hard to get him to work on it.

Not only did he turn that opportunity down he took the time to run them into the ground in an interview with the BigIssue saying quote;

“They asked me to do a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead but I didn’t want to be a part of it,”

“Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism and I find that missing in what’s happening now.”

I actually agree with Romero that The Walking Dead up until this season had become a massive soap opera but I also think that what makes the show appealing to such a large audience. As much as Romero is crapping on the show I think they are taking a page right out of Night of the Living Dead by commenting on society around them and relating to the audience of the times.

Perhaps George Romero just can’t relate to the material?

As much as I love George Romero even I have to admit that the best defense I can give that new quote we just found is I hope they misquoted him. Either that or he has suddenly turned into an egomaniac which really upsets me as a long time fan of his work.

What do you think? Is George Romero right? Or is he loosing touch? Or has he been misquoted?

George Romero Attacks The Walking Dead.... Again!

Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012

1. Pat Noon November 17, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Last I checked Romero hasnt made a decent zombie flick since 1985

• John Brenner
          John Brenner November 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I loved Land of the Dead, and liked Diary… But wow, the last one was awful…

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Pat Noon I cant knock that his newest films are not his best but he is still a legend and the father of the genre.

• Pat Noon
          Pat Noon November 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I’m not denying him his status – he earned it. Still though – he shouldnt throw stones in a glass house.

• Marc Thibodeau November 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm

last time i checked, none of the movies that came after the Romero trilogy ever came close to being AS good

• Samuel Carmack
          Samuel Carmack November 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

I loved Land of the Dead. And feel the Walking Dead Season 3 borrowed a bit from it. Especialy Comparing Dennis Hoppers Character to the Govenor.

2. Kimberly Moore November 17, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Mr. Romero is the Great Grandfather of these types of zombies, so he has a right to be pissed or bored by the show.

3. Rich Harris November 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm

He just sounds like a bitter old dude now. Bummer. He was my film hero for awhile.

4. Manic Exorcism November 17, 2013 at 10:21 pm

So he hates the show too?

5. Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm

yeah well the show is a total piece of shit just like all these other try hard attempts at zombie media.. Glad Fulci didn’t stay around to see the horseshit the majority of Americans thinks is good..

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca November 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I bet 90% of modern horror fans dont even know who Lucio Fulci is

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm

and that’s a fucking disgrace.. you can’t put horror into your fandemonium without knowing the 2 biggest Italian horror directors of all time..I will admit Dario probably is more known but imo Fulci produced the better horror films..but a discussion on Suspiria really would have me on the fence.

• Derrick Dpacino Pearson November 17, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I know who he is

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:51 pm

well that’s good. but knowing versus knowing his films are a completely different thing..frankly my top 10 list of all time horror nearly all those spots are taken by foreign directors.. American Cinema has never really gotten down that thing that’s called atmosphere..

• therevolutionaryconspirator November 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Having a discussion on Italian horror directors and omitting Mario Bava?!? C’mon now.

• Brad Lindsey
          Brad Lindsey November 18, 2013 at 3:18 am

ZOMBIE we are going to eat you.

6. Steven L. Godfrey November 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Not that I’ve been too impressed with Romero of late but still…this sums TWD up for me.

7. Manic Exorcism November 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm

But honestly he almost hates any zombie movie outside his own creations

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:35 pm

he never bagged on Fulci’s works as far as I know and his sequel was highly superior to Romeros film imo and lots of other folks.

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca November 17, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I dont recall him ever hating on anything ever. I asked him once what he thought of the HORRIBLE remakes of his movies ( Day of the Dead contagium ) and he had nothing but nice things to say

• Anil Sehgal
          Anil Sehgal November 17, 2013 at 11:43 pm

He’s made his money from that era, it’s time to move on and be happy for the show that has had the most viewers ever since the introduction of television.

• Vincent Dawn November 18, 2013 at 5:28 am

He loved THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, from what I’ve heard.

8. Mike Gaut November 17, 2013 at 10:23 pm

The Walking Dead needs to be attacked! It should be renamed The Living Talking Bore!

9. Christopher Horton November 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Good article Herner. I personally think that this all sounds a little bit like jealousy. Like the fact that it is a cultural phenomenon now, and not when he was doing it, is pissing him off. I have the utmost repect for him, but I dont understand the attitude he has taken on. I mean, he is STILL the originator of the idea! No one is taking that away from him. he should enjoy it!

10. Justin William Esquivel November 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

It’s too bad TWD will never be as good as even Romero’s worst film.

• Jesus Esquela
          Jesus Esquela November 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm

worst? shit couldnt hold a candle to his last worst films… unwatchable..

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm

yeah, way worse than Bruiser lol

11. Kolbey Leek November 17, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Not saying it is….but his quotes seem a little out of context.

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Having met him I agree. I have talked to him on 3 occasions and this strikes me as off.

• Steve Mason
          Steve Mason November 18, 2013 at 11:05 am

day of the dead, great movie, land of the dead , pile of crap, explain

12. Justin Kole November 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

To each’s own but he put the zombie genre on the map. I have felt in the beginning on the fence about “The Walking Dead” I grew up with zombies movies being very underground and taboo. And then bam! All of sudden it’s trendy and hip. It is what it is. I have since warmed up to the show but it’s the worst thing ever made and certainly not the best!

13. TC November 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I agree with you! Having spent a large amount of my time in Pittsburgh and being a filmmaker/Special FX/Makeup artist I had many run ins with Romero and Savini (He was awesome enough to teach some makeup classes I was in) and they are both awesome super nice folks.. I don’t know why he hates on TWD like he does ESPECIALLY since Nicotero is head of that show and they go back a lonnnnnggg way!

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur November 17, 2013 at 10:27 pm

The more I read the article I wrote and think about it either George Romero is turning into a cranky old filmmaker or perhaps we dont know something. Like maybe somebody borrowed some ideas for the TV show from him or perhaps he was working on the show and somebody else took it.

Who knows I know I am grasping but as a diehard fan I dont think anyone will fault me for grasping.

14. Sasha Grant November 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’ll take Walkers over zombies that ride horses any day. Someone wheel Romero to the home before he says anything else that tarnishes his good name. Your turn is over sir, feel proud that at least they follow your rules.

• Donnita Tiffany S. D
          Donnita Tiffany S. D November 17, 2013 at 10:30 pm

exactly

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Zombies were riding horses in the 70’s though.. well at least in spain..

15. Patricia Tambone November 17, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I love TWD and I always been a fan of zombies, he dosent need to like TWD I’m still gonna love George and his movies were great maybe not the last few but TWD is more bout the people then the zombies if u read the novels

16. Herner Klenthur November 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Alot of people are getting rich off of zombies now you are right. I am sure Romero made a fair buck as well. Here is hoping he is misquoted or something else is going on we dont know about that has made him angry.

17. Crhis Vinny Barnes November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

BIEN GORE DEATH METAL!!

18. Andrew Sedlack November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Old heads are haters

19. Donnita Tiffany S. D November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Tell him to not hate please.

20. Matt Butler November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

But he is dead on correct. They completely ignored what made for good zombie movies and even what made the book so good ….and instead went for the “lowest common denominator”.

“I actually agree with Romero that The Walking Dead up until this season had become a massive soap opera but I also think that what makes the show appealing to such a large audience.”

–Soap opera: the lost common denominator on tv.

21. Glenn Stamp November 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Fuck The Walking Dead

22. Butch Rosenbalm November 17, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I agree with George all the way. Walking Dead is a soap opera with horror touches. I gave up on the show after the second season and the comics not long after. Too much talking about feelings and keeping secrets, not enough zombies.
        If stating your opinion is “attacking”, then add my name to the list.

23. Blaine Morton November 17, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Why would he be into the commercialization of his dream? I mean seriously think about it from his perspective. Something that he used to get across very powerful political and social messages has been turned into a cash cow. Why wouldn’t he be pissed? You’re free to like the show, but to even imply that it is a show about zombies is just to prove that commercialism has won the day

24. Mike Gomez November 17, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Ignorance abounds as usual. Eric Taylor, are you really so close minded that you want every zombie movie to be exactly alike? That is what is boring. There is no one way to make a zombie movie. George laid the groundwork for the genre and now others interpret it their own way. Some interpretations are better than others but as a true fan of zombies I can appreciate it all. And what most ignorant people don’t realize is that The Walking Dead is NOT about the zombies. It never was. As we’ve already learned in the season two finale, they are all infected already. Once they die from any cause, they become zombies. The living people in the show are the walking dead, not the zombies.

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:46 pm

you’re the ignorant one.. The only films that have the same features of zombies are Romero’s films.. all the films I named are completely different from one another except for the fact that they are aware of the human body and some medical knowledge, and know how death affects a human body… You’re clearly talking about my least favorite subsect of zombie.. virus zombies.. not really zombies at all..just a sickness causing zombie like sicknesses.. real zombies.. die and then come back to life..

25. Michael Anderson November 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Romero’s early flicks were decent ,bar a few. But he’s boring to listen too. I’d rather hear Tom Savini’s opinion

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Tom Savinis new film will rule if the kickstarter gets funded.. and it’s even about voodoo/drug zombies.. different and still shot like a master of the macabre.. not a master of crap..

26. Luis.G November 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm

George Romero is right The Walking Dead it turn into a soap opera.. I love the show I love zombies George Romero to meet the Godfather the zombie… he is truly the king of the zombies.. because of him I’m a true zombie fan.. Also these young people they just like music man don’t respect the old s*** like that new stuff so that’s another thing with these kids..

27. Robert Murphy November 17, 2013 at 10:35 pm

The Walking Dead is vastly different. Romero is the top Dog, but others need to follow and grow.

28. Sasha Grant November 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

It’s a long fall from those high horses. White Zombie-1932. I’ve seen no mention of that one.

• Vincent Dawn November 18, 2013 at 6:09 am

Different kind of zombies, Sasha. Romero has acknowledged that film, and that era of zombies, many, MANY times.

29. Eddie N Elvira Munster November 17, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I too am a fan of Romero and the classic horror genre, but I dont know about this one. U have to remember that unlike a 2-3 hour movie a tv show has to have a story line because it could go for seasonS! So u cant just see zombie attacks thru out the show. I love TWD, faithfully watching every sunday since season 2. I didnt watch season 1 just cuz it was slow but now that there is a buget IT IS GOOD! I grew up loving black n white movies and horror all together, so I can respect Romero’s work. The thing is we live in a different generation now so we cant expect the SAME zombie work. I hope Romero is being misquoted becuase it always sucks when ur hero’s are off and talking out of nowhere.

30. Mike Juszczak November 17, 2013 at 10:42 pm

walking dead is boring. I totally agree with him, a sopa opera it is!

31. Ashley Rider November 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Ss a huge horror fan I am ashamed at how bad horror movies have gotten. He has every right to be angry

• Eric Taylor November 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I hear you these days I watch so much shit just in hopes of a gem these days.. the ratio is horrible it’s like 96% shit 4% potential gem.

• Monster Man Dan
          Monster Man Dan November 17, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Sorry, friends! I am just happy that someone still makes them! :)

32. David Barberry November 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Fuck that guy

33. Thaddeus Luick November 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm

What makes the show appealing to such a large audience is that the shows writing has been dumbed down, and people are idiots. Henceforth, they eat it up.
        I liked it when it started, but has since become retarded. The Walking Dead sucks now.

34. Blaine Timothy Patrick Murphy November 17, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Yeah the walking dead is a total bore. I stopped watching after this coming season.

35. Brittany H. November 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I agreed that the show is kind of a soap opera. I love zombies. I love love the Romero movies and being from Pittsburgh it’s kind of a part of me. But I do not like the show. I watched it the first two seasons religiously but it’s starting to piss me of. So I can kind of see where he’s coming from. Although it is strange to hear of him talking it down publicly.

36. Shawn Rosko (@shawnrosko) November 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm

He does sound jealous, I agree on the soap opera comment he previously made though. I’ve been a big fan of zombie flicks for 30 years but I don’t care for the walking dead though. I just want the gore and not the lame story line.

37. Drew Cheal November 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I am a huge fan of the original Romero films. That being said I think George forgets he admittedly took the zombie idea from Italian film makers. He can have his opinion of the show but to me it sounds like he believes his stories are the only zombie stories worth telling and that’s just silly.

• Vincent Dawn November 18, 2013 at 6:13 am

Come again? And which Italian films that pre-date THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD would you be referring to, exactly?

38. Sam Hain November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

George, keep your trap shut. You are the master of the zombies but everyone had their vision of them. Shut up and let us enjoy the show.

39. Daniel November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Hes just pissed because the walking dead is doing way better than what any of his shit movies did

40. the5thdroog November 17, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Those are similar to his responses at a recent convention I attended. I have a lot of respect for him and he has always been very personable when I’ve had the chance to say anything to him, as well. To me he does seem to be bothered that he doesn’t get some sort of royalty. He mentioned appreciating the thanks everyone gives him, but it seemed he did so with a little bitterness. I still have the utmost respect for him, but it was a little deflating. Don’t get me wrong, I think he deserves to feel however he wants and can say whatever he feels, I was just a little surprised by his reaction. Nice article. Even got me to come out of the woodwork.

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur November 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I love the guy but why would he get a royalty? And good to see you again

41. Ed Elder November 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

George Romero is not the father of ZOMBIE movies!!! Maybe he directed the 1943 movie Revenge of the Zombies as well…it’s like saying George Lucas is the fther of sci fiu… Fritz Lang would disagree…as would I

42. Nicholas James Reardon November 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Nah it’s a bunch of people riding on his coat-tales, I don’t blame him. Nothing original about the Walking Dead.

43. Ty karlsson November 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm

All Romero ever had to do was night of the living dead and he’d still have more integrity than 90% of the asshole making movies today…. he should say whatever he wants.. And we should be schooled “RESPECT” grandfathers in the film biz…

44. Darryl Rabideau November 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as is the Father of the modern day zombie, George A. Romero. Everyone needs to get over it. And these digs about his recent output can’t discount his great work (Dead trilogy, Martin, The Crazies, etc.).

45. Antonio Wallace November 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm

hey robbie romero of corse its soap operish..its an on going tv show..not a movie that has to begin end and run the whole content with in 2 + hours…..sheesh…..smh

46. Mary Ochoa November 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Nobody can deny Fulci or Romero’s genius and yes, their work is greatly unknown to modern ‘zombie fans’, but TWD is an altogether different approach. It focuses on the lives of the survivors and follows them through the many hardships which are far more than simply surviving zombie attacks; to live or not to live, to love or not to love, to stay or go.

It is creating a new audience all its own. Hopefully, though, fans of the show, or even other popular zombie flicks that we feel fall short of the work of the masters of the genre, will delve deeper into the influence and history of these works.

All things change and all great inspirations go on to inspire more creative artists.

47. William Smith November 17, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I would leave a comment but The Walking Dead is on

48. Ginger Chejin-Catino November 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm

This was already posted last month….why are we still at it….I luv the guy and thanks to him we have zombies and writers who adore him…such as Robert Kirkland….sorry that the last few movies sucked….but the walking dead is awesome….

49. Christy Bruce November 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I still cant blame him even if it is true. This man GAVE us zombies, only to be slapped in the face decades later. The Walking Dead received a hollywood star on the walk of fame, Romero, however, was denied one even after his fans petitioned for one. How is that possible?? I also have to agree that I didnt start watching Walking Dead for relationship plotlines or because one of the guys is sexy…I started watching for zombies, and although the whole show is about them, they seem to get the lowest screen time of anyone. Its pathetic.

50. Ultraviolent November 17, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I don’t get why people hate on any tv series. Don’t like it don’t watch it. Its nor difficult to avoid. I don’t like ahs so i just didn’t watch it. I avoided twd for 2 seasons cause i don’t do zombies. So if i can do it anyone can. Even Romero. Who i love btw but throwing a strop because he didn’t write it is pathetic and egomaniacal.

and i have to say you can enjoy horror and not know who fulci is. I didn’t know who argento was til i joined hm.ca. I love argento but how about introducing modern fans to the greats instead of pointing the finger. Everyone starts somewhere and you all heard of them some how. I am far too young to have seen their original hey day but thanks to others here i own a lot of argento now!

• Herner Klenthur
          Herner Klenthur November 17, 2013 at 11:51 pm

well said :) There are many talented directors I would not know about were it not for this website.

51. Michael A. Dyer November 17, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Romero can say whatever he wants about anything zombie.. I still watch the show, loved the comics, but the show does kinda piss me off as well.. Basically, growing up in the 80’s with such a limited zombie outlet, I guess i’m just a little sad and frustrated my how completely mainstream it’s all become….

52. Charles Clark November 18, 2013 at 12:58 am

I couldn’t agree more with George. I don’t blame him one bit for not wanting to touch The Walking Dead with a ten foot pole. George always had the exact right ratio of social statement mixed with edge of your seat suspense and action. The Walking Dead is only occasionally apocalyptic and contains none of the irony and humor that made George’s films so poignant. Modern film fans do not understand the subtleties. All they’re interested in is splatter and gore, which admittedly the modern producers have refined. Special effects which George developed have evolved to now appear much more realistic on the screen. And so they should. George invented them almost fifty years ago. The stars of the show have always been the zombies, after all. And with The Walking Dead it doesn’t have the ‘end of the world’ connotation about it. More like a series of small ‘outbreaks’.

53. Vaughn Kuhlmeier November 18, 2013 at 1:05 am

Im with George.

54. Cody Bonertz November 18, 2013 at 1:42 am

Great how apparently every zombie movie needs to be just like the Romero ones…no one can do their own thing and tell a story in their own way

55. Steve November 18, 2013 at 1:54 am

Love Romero’s first three, but the rest were crap. I’m glad he’s not doing Walking Dead, as it would have been cancelled already. His writing and directing after Day are pathetic. Zombies learning to lead other zombies and use tools? Give me a break. Thats comedy material. He’s entitled to his opinion, but he’s coming off as a jealous old has been. Probably because he can’t get funding for his his movies despite WD bringing zombies to the mainstream.

• James November 18, 2013 at 4:05 am

Ya… land of the dead was just sad

56. Mike New November 18, 2013 at 2:23 am

George Romero’s movies to kind of suck but he is the king of the zombie genre. Walking dead is hot at the moment but with these spin offs happening, it will lose ratings fast.

57. Brad Lindsey November 18, 2013 at 3:11 am

All hail the king George Romero!

58. Brad Lindsey November 18, 2013 at 3:16 am

If it wasn’t for Romero there wouldn’t be no Walking Dead every fuckin zombie movie you see is copied from his films.

• Brad Lindsey
          Brad Lindsey November 18, 2013 at 3:27 am

I even see scenes on Walking Dead taken from Day of the Dead.

59. GOAT November 18, 2013 at 3:25 am

As much as I love the guy (NOTLD being my favorite film of all time) I think his time has passed. Out of his newer films, I can only say I like Diary, and it’s still kinda mediocre compared to his earlier work. He does have a point with the “soap opera” comment. Season 1 worked well because it was so short. Season 2? Sorry, but it flat out sucked. Season 3 was a huge improvement, but still had some boring ass episodes, though not many. Season 4 so far seems to be going down the same path. I understand that they have to make it palatable for a wide audience, but can the soap opera shit. I just don’t understand how you can find the time for romance in the middle of the zombie apocalypse.

60. missmediasushi November 18, 2013 at 3:26 am

And theres the full circle folks…put it down and walk away….cause everyone is over thinking it. Dude is pushing mid-70s. He is old and probably cranky. Maybe he has dementia and thinks he is still the same age as he was when he made the original living dead flick…

61. Nick Barton November 18, 2013 at 4:01 am

If you are watching the Walking Dead for zombies you obviously don’t know anything about the Walking Dead even the comics aren’t about the zombies but about the people and their interactions and what they do in the situation they are forced into sorry if you “highbrow” zombie horror fans think that it taints the genre or is a “soap opera” without enough blood and guts to keep your interest. Perhaps if you actually understood human interaction beyond the boundaries of your computers and the obscurity of vintage zombie movies. Sure Romero made some great movies with some great commentary but really you can’t make a political statement out of every episode and the zombies in Walking Dead are background characters not characters for greater exposition of the political environment.

• Vincent Dawn November 18, 2013 at 6:18 am

You seem pretty salty yourself, sir. Give me some of those pretzels!

62. Brett Wainer November 18, 2013 at 4:05 am

If not.for George Romero there would be no.walking dead. End of story. I have no problem with what he said. He doesnt like the show. Why is that terrible?

63. jokelly65 November 18, 2013 at 8:15 am

George is entitled to his opinion. even if his last three zombie movies sucked. How ever to say the walking dead is about the characters is like saying NASCAR races are about the tires. Most of the character development happens between seasons or off camera. the only thing it seems to be about, is pop psychology and body count.

64. Tiago November 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Who the hell are you people to question Mr. Romero?
        This is the thing about modern journalism, a bunch of nobodies think they actually have the right to question guys like Romero, Tarantino, Von Tier, etc…
        When guys like that talk, you should be listening. After all, they are the ones getting paid to make movies, so no, you don’t know better.

• Steve November 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Well since we are the paying audience, we are the ultimate critics. Romero’s last 25 years of work- stink. Walking Dead- more viewers than almost any show in history of cable tv. Romero is the god father and no one is questioning that. But, he is washed up and can’t get his projects funded. Why? See his last 3-4 films? Instead of being proud a very successful show spawned from his early creations and keeps his zombies “alive”, he bitches like a scorned child. That’s his prerogative just like us, the viewers, have the right to do the same thing. I am Steve and I am questioning George Romero. There, I feel better already!

65. Jim VanBebber November 18, 2013 at 4:22 pm

People always hating on Romero’s newer flicks and I don’t get it? Survival was a complete steaming pile of shit but Land was good and Diary was fucking great. TWD has awesome effects, scenery and killer gore but the acting is fucking atrocious. They can’t go five min without making some gay ass dramatic speech! Just shut up and kill something.

66. Panos November 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

First of all I think Land of the dead was amazing! Everything after that was boring ….. As a huge fan of Romero I agree with him that such a big project that has zombies in has to pay respects kt the master ! If it is true that they asked him then I believe that only two things could have happened to upset him they either said or did something to upset him or the showed disrespect towards him !

67. Audra November 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Personaly I think that Mr. Romero is the Godfather of the zombie genre and YES I don’t think that genre would have gotten to where it is without him.
        I find it hard to believe that he would be attacking TWD when he and Mr. Nicotero are very good friends. Greg me George when he was 8 years old and he basically grew up with his tutoring over the years. He even had a part in the ’85 Day of the Dead.
        Now I do think that since George A. Romero is now 73 going on 74 in February he may be upset with the way that the genre is playing out but seriously once can’t keep redoing everything over and over again and again. Grant you, NOTLD with Tony Todd was very good. However the remake of Day of the Dead was so far out there I just couldn’t stomach it. (LOL pun intended)
        We do know that as people do get older and they do get outdone over the years they do feel their mortality being threatened. However, Mr. Romero has done and continues to do a very fantastic job with what he has done.
        Quite honestly I do not know how anyone can compary Romero’s genre to TWD. It is entirely different even though the zombies do play the parts that they play. Even the word ‘ZOMBIE’ is not referred at all in TWD, just another observation.
        Now as for Romero turning down the opportunity to direct one of the episodes; let me put this on the table……. Do any of you who are fans of his…… I don’t think that there would be a comparison except for maybe TWD getting totally better hands down. I think he turning down such an offer is giving respect to Kirkman and the other creatures, especially his friend Greg Nicotero. That my friends would be like comparing apples to oranges. Therefore, Romero wouldn’t want to stand in any other persons way.
        I have read articles where Romero loves where other ppl have taken the genre and loves some of the ideas that others have had such and 28 Day Later…. which is not a zombie genre but a rage virus but is still good none the less.
        I think he has been misquoted and is just being put on the spot for he has never, like I just said, had a problem with no one having their own depications of the genre`~.

68. David Flack ( Wolfie) November 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm

i like all of romero’s zombie Movies, the last one is the least but is still enjoyable. i also enjoy ” the Walking Dead”. obviously the t v series owes a hell of a lot to George but i don’t know why he has a problem with it, even after i’ve heard what he has said.

69. Tiago November 18, 2013 at 11:43 pm

@Steve
        Ignorance is bold, and that’s ok.

• Steve November 19, 2013 at 1:37 am

Looking in the mirror? Word.

70. BillyCerutti November 19, 2013 at 12:34 am

The walking dead is garbage.The acting stinks, the music they play is trendy poser trash, the writing is horrible.Now the walking dead does all this with a budget! George Romero did all this with the exception of the music in the original dawn of the dead, and actors Rickles and Steel(and the captain) in Day, with no budget at all! ….George is the Winner! Gooo George!!!!!

71. Ava November 20, 2013 at 6:17 am

George Romero has never watched TWD. Ever. He read one or two of the comics. Also, he hates 28 Days Later, Warm Bodies, etc. He really does think that he owns zombies. Nothing he said has been taken out of context and he has not been misquoted. He’s bitter.

72. Jonathan November 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

Romero does not understand that The Walking Dead is not about the zombies, its about the humans, how they are surviving in this new world, and the conflicts that are happening. If he actually watched the show he would realize that it pays tribute to the classic Night of the Living Dead.Not every zombie movie needs to be focus on the zombies if that was the case then what is the point of having human characters? Also if he read the comics “The Walking Dead” does not refer to the zombies/walkers, it refers to the humans since they are all infected. The concept of zombies was around before Night of the Living Dead, he just took a new approach to it so for him to say that he needs to be involved in everything and anything about zombies is ridiculous, he does own the rights to zombies.

73. Tiago November 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm

@Steve
        I am not the one being disrespectful towards a higher intelligence. I am the one boldly saying you are ignorant for doing that. See, ignorance is bold, but being bold is not necessarily being ignorant. But, I do admit that compared to Mr. Romero, I am ignorant about filmmaking, and I am telling you, so are you.

74. GiftedKing November 23, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I am definitely a Romero fan from Night of the Living Dead to Diary of the Dead, the social commentary was ahead of its time and flew over many people’s head… Not to mention he was one of, if not the first, to have a Black American as lead protagonist in Night of the Living Dead in 1968… Lucio Fulci, is a legend in the horror industry period, with Zombi, House by the Cemetery, New York Ripper, City of the Living Dead, and even House of Clocks… Bruno Mattei killed the Zombi franchise, to be fair though, it was enjoyable bad movies lol… George Romero is entitled and I respect his opinion of the Walking Dead, even though I disagree… Walking Dead is a great series, that not only shows the zombie apocalypse, but also shows the way Humans cope with it and the psyche of the survivors… I enjoy because its not cut and paste, rcharacter development was amazing… In respect George Romero did not invent the zombie, but revolutionized and set it on a catalyst unprecedented at the time. So with that, allow these fresh minds to do the same in the direction they see fit. They are not running Walkers, because we know how many people rag on those on this site. People will find anything to gripe about and that is good for debate.

75. B STATS November 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Romero can think what he likes. He has become the Ozzy Osbourne of the zombie genre with his insane horse-riding, gun-toting, thinking, feeling, speaking zombies. LOL! I’ll stick to the reanimated dead and Romero can just fade away.

76. Tomas Oier April 20, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I think he is right. I mean TWD was supposed to be at least frightening, but it is more melodramatic than a mexican soup opera.

77. Mitzi DeMarco (@mitzidemarco) June 7, 2014 at 1:59 am

Not everyone is going to like The Walking Dead. I gave it chances but it soon became The Daryl & Rick show since Reedus & Lincoln are the most popular ones on the show. I stopped watching TWD because I just stopped caring about the lame ass story & characters. I hardly see any posts about the show but how cute Daryl & Rick are. I also agree with George that it is a zombie soap opera and I don’t blame him for “crapping” on it one bit. I strongly suggest people watch Horror from the Grave’s video about TWD called H.F.T.G.

78. Mitzi DeMarco (@mitzidemarco) June 8, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Also..it’s funny how people will say that George’s last two or three zombie films were bad but not every Walking Dead episode was great either. In season 2 they spent 7 freaking episodes looking for Sophia who was already dead anyway so there ya go.