Though the major Halloween events in California seem to center around the big theme parks like Universal Studios and Knott’s Berry Farm, there’s one Halloween event that takes in the most unlikeliest of places.
The Dark Harbor is an intense Halloween attraction located in the historic and beautiful Queen Mary. Throughout the year it sets docked in the Long Beach harbor acting as popular tourist attraction and location for elegant events. But during the month of October, that all gets tossed out the window and the Queen is transformed into a horrifying ghost ship.
While I enjoy Universal Studio’s Halloween Horror Nights for it’s spectacle and big name attractions, I have to say that Dark Harbor is one of the scariest attractions in all of California. This year they’ve already announced the mazes that will be featured at Dark Harbor, which you can read below, and they’re introducing a new character into the foray in the form of the “Ringmaster.” Along with the new character comes a new sort of maze which centers around a dark and twisted circus. Nightmarish clowns? Sign me up!
- CIRCUS– Come experience the horror under The Queen Mary’s very own big top tent inside the deadly dome, the heart of The Captain’s Carnival. Face your greatest fears as you find your way through disorienting illusions, fatally horrific magic and circus wonders never before imagined. Just watch your step – the Ringmaster is on the loose and could trap you eternally inside the circus of the dead.
- DEADRISE-The wreckage of Deadrise has once again been called into service by The Captain to escort him and his army of super ghosts and monsters into a battle against the living to reclaim Dark Harbor. As you walk through the carnage of the maze, beware – the undead are ready to fight for your soul.
- HELLFIRE– Enter if you dare, but consider yourself warned because once you enter this haunted inferno you’ll be dying to get out. And be sure to keep an eye out for Henry, who took the dare of a lifetime aboard the Queen Mary and never disembarked. His soul is trapped here at Dark Harbor, so he passes his time by playing tricks on the living, just when you think you know what to expect Henry will show up to turn things upside down.
- SUBMERGED– Submerged will take your fears to a whole new level, as you try to escape from the sinking ship, you will find out that there’s more to be afraid of than just going to your watery grave. Graceful Gale has claimed the depths of submerged. Her beauty in life and in death keep the men lined up for a dance. But be warned, she not only captivates she also captures souls. And be on the look out for Mary, who has haunted the Queen Mary ever since her horrible drowning in the poolroom over 50 years ago. Now she is passing her time in her playroom in our maze Submerged, just waiting for an eternal playmate…
- CONTAINMENT– On a 1948 Atlantic voyage, Samuel was locked away in room B340 after a violent outburst. When the crew went to check on him, they found the room in disrepair and Samuel himself violently ripped apart and dead. Now his soul is held in Containment and he is fighting to escape. Sometimes it’s what you can’t see that you should be most afraid of. In Containment, your fear of the unknown will take you to the edge or terror and back.
- THE VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED– Just because you’re not on the ship doesn’t mean that you’re not in harm’s way. One walk through Village of the Damned will have you running for your life. And be on the look out for the Captain, though he calls Deadrise home, he tends to wonder about haunting all of Dark Harbor and The Queen Mary.
For more information on Dark Harbor and how you can attend, be sure to visit their site. And be sure to check out the teaser video below.