Underworld 5: New Generation, No Kate Beckinsale? No Thanks!

Herner Klenthur 70 Comments Movie Page: Underworld: Next Generation

Underworld 5: New Generation, No Kate Beckinsale? No Thanks!

Underworld 5 has a spiffy new name and if the name tells us anything it seems they may have passed on including the move pivotal character in the series, Selene. A few days ago Chris told you all that rumors are circulating that the new Underworld 5 film is ready to move ahead ( via BD ) and that the film has a brand new title ‘Underworld: Next Generation’.

To me this is clearly a play on the fact that the fifth film will focus now on Eve who was played by India Eisley in Underworld 4. This also means that Kate Beckinsale’s character will likely not be the focus of the fifth film as they try to cater to is a younger more box office hungry audience.

The Underworld franchise may have dumped Scott Speedman and gotten away with it but dropping Kate Beckinsale is as good as putting a stake in the franchise. Selene and Kate Beckinsale is the heart and soul of the vampire movie franchise and removing her character will make fans like me simply tune out.

You will recall this is not the first Underworld movie to not feature Kate Beckinsale’s character. Underworld Rise of the Lycans focused on the Romeo and Juliet love affair between Lucian and Sonja and saw Rhona Mitra take on the role of ass kicking death diva in latex.

Even despite the strength of doing a prequel that fans wanted and showing the origins story of the Lycans and the vampires the film lost its footing without Beckinsale. The film was the weakest of the bunch at the box office and if there is any doubt that Beckinsale played a part in that you need only look to the next film in the franchise Underworld 4 where Beckinsale returned. Not only was the film a smash hit at the box office bringing in the most money for the franchise yet it also introduced a new character angle that fans loved, the daughter of Selene and Michael’s Eve. No doubt aptly named for being the first of her kind.

The box office results proved that fans want more Beckinsale and have an appetite for more Underworld movies.

As one of the franchise fans I am all for more Underworld movies but if the only objective is to introduce a new spin on the characters to a new younger / trendy generation I will be happy to pass on the film.

The only thing worse than not bringing back Kate would be to have Beckinsale still playing Selene and Eve playing her troubled adolescent teenage daughter with lycan boy troubles ala Twilight. There are so many ways to do Underworld 5 wrong and I am having trouble thinking of a way to do it right.

My question for you is how do they do an Underworld 5 that makes sense and doesn’t simply just cash in on the franchise name and disappoint fans? Do they bring back Scott Speedman? Do they bring back Kate? Or am I completely off base and are they further ahead to dump Kate Beckinsale and kick start it in the future with Eve and a whole new cast of Lycans?

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012

1. Wayne Pierson June 7, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Underworld series was absolute crap anyway

• bearmon2010 June 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

That’s fine. It is not for you.

• jason June 13, 2014 at 6:15 am

U just made yourself look silly why are u looking into a fifth movie then lol

• marisa July 21, 2014 at 3:57 am

Bring back all three. have it be a search for Michael with lots of drama and fighting in between. i won’t watch 5 if selene isn’t in it. that would be weird considering how they ended 4

2. Eric June 7, 2014 at 8:12 pm

They have to bring back Kate. Underworld wouldn’t be right without her. I love all the underworld movies, they made me fall in love with Selene. I must have more of that ending from the last film.

• Alex Hann July 19, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Yes bring back Kate also number 4 was great but if they don’t bring back Scott speedman I will be disappointed I understand why he wasn’t in 4 not a big role they didn’t want to pay a lot of money for just five minutes of footage with Scott speedmans character in it.

And also there is plenty of story left number five could be the search for Michael and introduce eve to here father.

• Rob July 20, 2014 at 3:55 am

If they don’t bring back both Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman, my interest will not be revived.

3. bearmon2010 June 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Without her then director will fail anyway.

• Kevin H August 20, 2014 at 9:48 pm

My fiance agree whole heartedly w/out selene & eve in search of poppa ( scott perlman) w/ fights inbetween & 1 big fight at the end that they join together too start a new empire for the next generation, w/out any gaps

4. grindhouse June 7, 2014 at 11:07 pm

We need Kate Beckinsale to return as Selene and make the 5th film a a final installment.

• grindhouse June 7, 2014 at 11:07 pm

*as

5. James June 8, 2014 at 3:12 am

well they destroyed the resident evil franchise, might as well destroy underworld too!

• Alex Hann July 19, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Yeah they did destroy it with number 3 and 5. 4 did ok but sucked that she lost here powers hopefully the finale instalment will be great and end we’ll not a ending were they all die and earth is completely gone because than watching the complete set of movies would have been a waste of time

6. dave June 8, 2014 at 3:55 am

Kate you made the movies it shows your fans you are a monster for the movie please finish it for us

7. Patrick June 9, 2014 at 12:24 pm

They need Kate to continue as selene and be a parent to her daughter in the movie having a mother and daughter continue would be awesome

• Debbie June 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Need to bring Kate and Scott back that is how the last one ended with the hint that Michael was alive also

• beto June 29, 2014 at 5:18 am

I would agree on the mother and daughter thing

8. jere ebneter June 11, 2014 at 6:26 am

I think they bring back Kate, her daughter, and the Divergent dude who did a decent job in the last movie. they all go searching for Scott, who has no doubt lost his mind and is running amuck in the city. Michael Ealy tracks him down with Salene while Eve and the divergent dude romance it up during training, and bam, a new coven to build off of with Salene returning as, an elder with Scott, forming the UBL union bloodline coven. they are a threat to all covens, be it lycan, vampire, and how about new coven of species of Immortals bent on destruction of all covens,! Let the but whooping begin with some badasskicking in the end, which could send the franchise in some really cool ideas! UNDERWORLD is a great franchise of good ol sexy vampire werewolf movies! Bring them back! If you want meto write the script…..let me know!

• Michael July 16, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Amen

9. Jan June 12, 2014 at 2:18 am

They need to bring back Kate and Scott, and then tie in the daughter for the end of the movie to carry on the torch if need be. I didn’t like the fact that they left Scott out in Underworld 4. I love Underworld. Please keep the franchise going!!!

10. and June 12, 2014 at 2:27 am

The ending of Underworld Awakening sums up what the next Underworld should be. Kate, Scott, India, and the new guy James helping bring back the vampire race to a new role with both vampires and licans hidden in the background but among the human race thriving. It would bring it back to the realistic aspect that has been slowly lost since the first one. That part, I think, we all love about these kinds of movies. That we can tell ourselves maybe this could be real. Or carry forward this new world involving all three coexisting and yet battling for each ones place in it as a free for all.

11. and June 12, 2014 at 2:55 am

Oh! And bring back Lucian! I love his character. It was well developed and acted, he was the sex appeal for the licans and with so much spent on Rise of the Licans it seems a waste to kill him off. He was the first to shift back and forth from human form, he injected himself with Michael’s blood, and yet he’s killed with, granted, a lot of silver nitrate bullets just like the other licans? I was so disappointed he hasn’t come back somehow as of yet.

• kYohono August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am

Very well said.

Although I feel like his character served its purpose, he lived to create a hybrid, like his own child that was never born.

Well, if Kate says no on 5, then we have Eve as the new main character. Puberty hits her and she hears there’s that deserted place, and that old man who can help her control her anger management issues. Some lycan master Yoda. Yeah, I could see Lucian do that.

12. Kourtney June 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

They need to have both Kate and Scott. If not both at least Kate other wise they have no reason to make the 5th one

13. mzhelluva June 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

The last firm left me unsatisfied I was looking for Selena love interest to show his face the whole movie. But all we got was he escaped…I love the underworld series. But they have to get it together.

14. Lex Strang June 14, 2014 at 6:21 am

one of the best franchises ever, there’s no need to get rid of Kate and Scott there still gorgeous and ageless its a ridiculous idea!?, and eve would be epic if she got Marcus bat wings shes suppose to be the most powerful ever in this world taking in shes more then twice Marcus strength, it would be cool too see them hunting down these advanced werewolf scientists on the run and smashing into there domains with Eve Selene and Michael just epic, and it wouldn’t hurt too make a t.v series if all else fails!?

15. Brooklyn June 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I think that they should do one more movie with Kate due to the fact on how they left off on 4. I want to see a family I want to see Michael Selene and Eve. I think a story line with them all will work perfectly and then end it with them passing the torch on to Eve. I mean you can’t just end 4 the way they did and then what wait another 12 year gap in the next film I don’t think i could watch it to be honest, I was in a battle with watching the 3rd but it was nice to see the start of the war but now I want more of Selene and Michael. And now they have a daughter I want to see the reaction from michael finding he has a daughter. I don’t want to jump again.

16. Jamie D June 21, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I want Underworld 5 BUT only if Kate is back to play Selene because she is basically the heart of the franchise and removing her is well…removing the heart and leaving the franchise for dead. I agree with the fact that there should be no teen drama and just focus on something that will go out with a bang to finish the series. I would have them finding Michael to begin with and then whatever else should happen, then at the end have a huge battle between the remaining vampires(with Selene and Michael maybe daughter) and the authorities that are aware the ‘infection’ is back or maybe the werewolves. That may suck but what I’m saying is something great to finish the franchise…

17. Papi Chulo June 22, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Well I won’t blame the producers or directors sometimes actors get tire or change their minds or have other commitments and won’t or can’t play they’re characters any more. But in my opinion they should try to get all the former actors together for a last movie Selene ,Michael, Eve, David the hall vamp and high bread family I’m sure the fans will love that and I’m sure they’ll be happy with that :-)

18. Victor June 22, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Sequel to the prequel… Anyone? Anyone?

• Nightwing July 1, 2014 at 8:12 am

No….just…no…

They almost lost me forever with RotL. No Kate = no Underworld. Mark my words…if they make U5 without her, it will be a HUGE mistake. Complete box office flop.

• kYohono August 20, 2014 at 1:18 am

Thank you!
          More Lucian!
          I would even dig prequel prequel, see how it all really started with the three brothers and all. I would love to see Markus and William and that third unnamed one – the bromance, the drama, the horror.
          This, however, may flop due to lack of badass Kate in latex.

But a family reunion what everybody else seems to anticipate no 5 to be, no thanks.
          It was hard enough for me to watch this forced mother-daughter relationship.

19. James June 25, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I think they’ll have kate and scott in the next movie since 4 was mainly about finding mickael. They probly might even have a few people turned into hybrids wich would fall in with the title next generation.

20. John A Mina June 25, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I know they can put Kate in Under World 5, cause it will make the movie twice as good, believe it.

21. Eric Morgan (@boggarthunter) June 28, 2014 at 8:08 am

I love the Underworld series. It’s not the deep characters or complex plots that keep me coming back. No, it’s awesome vampires and werewolves done right. I want Beckinsale back as much as the next guy. That being said, if she refuses to come back screw it. Bruce Willis refused to come back for Ex3 over a pathetic money issue (he wanted $4mill for 4 days work instead of $3mill for 4 days work.) Nobody’s going to miss him. I’ll notice he’s not their, but if the script is good I won’t care. Same goes for Underworld 5. Eve searches for and finds Michael aka (hopefully Scott Speedman), they go on to kick some ass. As long as Vampires and Werewolves have an epic battle and Eve is there to save the day, that’s what I’ll be going to see. I might miss Selene if she’s not there, but I won’t cry over it. Underworld: Next Generation in IMAX 3D… Take my money please.

22. donald jose' phillips July 3, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Nt having Kate in the movie is like removing the seal of a very expensive french wine.so no please don’t.

23. Zajcev July 3, 2014 at 6:19 pm

It’s simple. Bring back Kate and Scott for the 5th movie or do not make one at all.

24. Alex July 3, 2014 at 10:08 pm

JHKate must come back along with Scott to properly finish the franchise. It is clear that neither of them are thrilled about coming back, but there is no point of doing it without them. The last I heard, the movie was gonna be called Underworld: Battle, where the hybrids mutate and become the enemy. *struggs* whom knows.
        It is easy to close the franchise out with a blockbuster. All they need to do is answer all the questions the other movies presented like why Amelia was not in control when things flipped off with Kraven in the first movie. And show how things transpire after Underworld: Awakening. Eve should not take center stage other then to show why Viktor did not want the species blended.
        The final chapter must fill us in.

25. Nicole July 4, 2014 at 3:35 am

My kids are the next generation to be bringing in the $$ for the next movie of Underworld. They want to see Selene search for Michael. Aged 13, 11 and 8 years old and they love underworld (except for the kissing according tothe 8yr old )

26. Kyra Fennell July 8, 2014 at 11:23 am

Kate must be back in it and it must be the final to wrap up the series. Also must have more on the mother daughter storyline

27. klearlyc July 14, 2014 at 3:59 am

I have only one suggestion to the producers/writers. It is called “Underworld.” Remember that when you go to draft the story and develop your characters. Bare that title in mind and revisit 1 and 2 then compare 4 against the first 2 and see where the thematic weak spots might be. I dare to suggest the only reason 4 did so well is solely due to one reason that being: Kate Beckinsale. Give the core character a strong purpose like Selene had but don’t take the root of the franchise out. There are plenty of potential bad guys left in the franchise or introduce us to new ones but this serial was never about vampire horror in and of itself nor is it a vampiric romance.

28. Timmoth July 17, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Bring Kate back bring Michael back, and just as importantly bring Danny McBride back.

29. Holiday July 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm

The underworld franchise should continue. Kate and Scott should return. Kate daughter should also return. They need to be new elders, new coven and new rules as well so the vampire race can continue. Kate should be an elder as well as Scott. They also need to be a leader of the lycan clan that will fight along side with vampires to resist the humans. The underworld franchise should continue as well leaving everything in Kate daughter Eve hands and many other elders as well. I really feel this underworld franchise can continue. We need more comics and tv shows

30. Fender August 3, 2014 at 8:20 am

Like many have said Kate is Underworld.
        They gave it effort, Rise of the Lycans turned out “ok” and I’m a huge Rhona Mitra fan. Even liked her role but you still felt like something was missing, it was Kate and they wont ever come close to “OK” without her again.
        It would be great to see 5 but I can’t imagine she’ll do another and I have no interest in this Underworld the next generation cash grab.

I was more interested in figuring out, the elder “Olivia” who healed Kate’s child “gave her blood” was the biker girl in The Jerk with Steve Martin.

31. Robert Wood August 4, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Kate should certainly be in Underworld 5 with Scott Speedman as we were promised when UW 5 was mentioned, However Kate did state that she would not be interested in doing another Underworld movie and with that said, what choices are left but to maybe move on. But perhaps with the right Pay figure she may change here mind and do at least one more and end her and Scott’s character properly. As with many actors you can’t always expect them to do more that 3 or 4 movies playing that character, its understandable that Kate would want to move on. On a side note for UW 4 I did not care very much for the Werewolves as they were mostly CGI and the main one that was as big as Godzilla was totally stupid and was all CGI. What they need to do is go back to the original werewolf concept and bring back Patrick Tutopolis to do the make -up like the first movie its always better to have an actual actor not that CGI crap that Hollywood keeps raming down our throat.

32. TonyB August 7, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I recall reading also that Kate Beckinsdale was not interested in sticking with the franchise so it was not so much the makers not wanting her in the movie but rather her not wanting to do it.
        I think the franchise will do well if they move the character of Eve forward a few years & put an older actress in to fill the role & stick to a good story line with lots of action.
        I will definitely go see it.

33. Chris August 8, 2014 at 5:28 am

If Kate is on the 5th part I’m not watching ! She’s the star of the underworld movie saga their won’t be a point to the 5th if she isn’t back with her daughter and her new friend.

• Clarissa August 9, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I think that they should keep kate and have a little romance going on between selene and david(played by theo james

34. Becca August 16, 2014 at 11:22 am

they have to keep definitely keep Kate as it would not be the same without her, she was FANTASTIC in the underworld movies and plays a good vampire.

i think they should base the movie on Selene and how she became a vampire and how they killed her family, i know they showed a little of it in the underworld movies but i would like to see more of it and also she how the vampires and the lycans begun or some shit like that either way they cant get rid of Kate shes just to good to not be in it.

35. Trip August 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I think that Selene, Michael and obviously Eve all need to be in Underworld 5…. Selene she’s now a new breed – A day walker,what Vampires have been longing for since the dawn of time. Michael as we know a hybrid -still yet to find out how powerful he really is, Eve what an awesome offspring -how telepathic is she in connection to her buzzar and amazing parents. Selene and Michael more or less could be the rulers of them all…………..just a thought: imagine the next generation of vampires if humans were bitten by Selene. Other vampires not yet known of. What if Michael bit a few humans that were trying to take him out, could be interesting. There’s gotta be other Lycans that are probably pissed at Michael being a hybrid. Eve now that awesome offspring could well an truly spice up the mix, the concept of a cross of Vampire /Lycan-Vampire. Come to think of it Selene was already early stages of being pregnant when she then become a Day Walker. So……what will Eve really be like….. Possibilities are endless….. Bring it on I say I’m intrigued already.

36. kendrick booker August 20, 2014 at 4:49 am

All of them i’ll love it

37. Kevin H August 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm

If underworld 5:next generation isn’t about selene & eve triing to find eve’s dad (scott perlman), with some fighting inbwtween & 1 big fight at the end where the 3 join together to start a new empire. It just wont be an underworld movie.

38. darius August 27, 2014 at 5:54 am

you gotta bring bac scott and have it to were the humans lycans and the vampires all after eve for different reasons bring a.new vampire villian and lycan foe with different abilities from science and make it to were it may not be the best thing to save there daughter

39. cody August 28, 2014 at 8:24 am

I believe being a huge underworld fan that the 5 movie should be Selena and Eve should be looking for Micheal and trying to build a empire of vampires and werewolves. Letting them be on eequal footing. And introduce a third species that is out to kill all vampires, werewolves and humans. Causing a new war to begin.

40. Jennifer Amen August 30, 2014 at 4:30 am

I say Scott and Kate be in it but have the daughter older, (Kate Mara maybe) story line hmmm I would have to say Selene and Michael starting a new coven, maybe, eve creating more hybrids an army to fight the lycans/humans

41. Linda Marie August 31, 2014 at 6:22 pm

They need to bring Speedman (Michael) back and reunite with Selene no matter the main plot they go with. If they are trying to engage a younger audience, they should realize that putting that reunion in will satisfy those that have been loyal to the franchise so far and then use the daughter character as the main heroine somehow to attract that younger demo they seem they feel they need. Personally, I don’t care as long as I have a happy ending closure for Selene and Michael. They could reunite and then go into hiding because they are too sought after by the enemy, enter whoever they choose to carry on the torch, so to speak. But anytime you get people thinking they need to change things up that isn’t broken, they usually end up screwing the pooch and ruining everything, putting a shadow over the other earlier hit movies for not finishing things properly. I don’t purchase DVD’s of series unless I get that satisfying ending.

42. Ry August 31, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Got to have Scott and Kate back in it to finish there story do what you want after but too soon for a bloody reboot!

43. Casper September 4, 2014 at 1:46 pm

its a must the trio Kate (Selene), Michael and Eve must come back,otherwise underworld 5 will be weird….

44. taylor September 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I agree, a search for Michael should be the 5th movie, it only makes sense base on how the 4th movie ended, find Michael then do a movie more into the future with Eve and more crossbreeds fighting for their kind.

45. Drew September 6, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Deviating from its current course set in Awakening would be a blunder of massive proportions. Kate Beckinsale IS Underworld. Why do the people in Hollywood insist on making the same mistakes over and over again.

No Kate? Pass on Underworld 5 or whatever they want to call it. I’d also predict a massive flop at the box office.

• Ung Zhee Nedd September 18, 2014 at 6:52 am

I know rit,she is what underworld is. They just think Theo James can bring the ratings for teenage fans,well as a teenager I’m not buying it:(((!!!!

46. MichelleMindless September 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Love the franchise. I even loved the prequel, if anyone could steal Kate’s spotlight and get away with it, it’s Rhona. That’s just my opinion. I won’t watch the new one in theatres, but if I see it on tv for free, I’ll gladly watch it.

47. chimere chambers September 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm

They should bring all three back I won’t watch if Kate not in it selene and eve should find Scott and go from there

48. susan September 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm

The fourth one should have had micheals character in it! Great to expand but this leaving out main characters is crap! Unless Selena, Micheal and the daughter aren’t together the storyline is lost in translation!

49. Ung Zhee Nedd September 18, 2014 at 6:48 am

I totally agree. If Kate Beckinsale(Selene) is out…. I’m so out!!!!!

50. Saoirse September 19, 2014 at 12:48 am

Kate’s just got to come back for the 5th film. Selene is the one who made the franchise so popular and has had such a complex, interesting and ever changing story line that has kept us so interested from the start. She’s basically the heart of Underworld so to replace her is like killing a loved franchise. Also, the fact its a woman who has the main lead in such a successful franchise makes it even more unique. I think we would all like to see Selene, Michael and Eve reunite in some way, it would just tie up the story nicely. What annoys me the most is that her story didn’t even finish so why write her completely out as a main lead? Why give the main lead to David and “two new female leads”?! finish the original story we want to know before you move on. As Len Wiseman has said, “I really believe Kate is Underworld.” So stick to that Wiseman!

51. jerry nill September 24, 2014 at 3:52 am

Without Kate theirs no point

52. Richard October 1, 2014 at 10:56 am

They need both Kate & Scott back in the 5th one.I hope the focus won’t be on the daughter.I agree with the earlier comment about not wanting it turned into a stupid teenage love story like Twilight

53. Jas October 7, 2014 at 12:45 am

the only thing i could think of is to have the two races unite against the common threat. It seems to be the only way they could possibly make the story interesting enough for people to watch it. that and upgrade eve to look more like a bat wolf and not an exorcist ghoul

54. Dionne john November 24, 2014 at 10:21 am

I think finishing a story line is important as in Selene finding Micheal but I would like to explore where Eve and David could go . That girl was explosive on the screen in all ways and coupled with Theo James with the right storyline and dialogue it could be Hot. Change doesn’t mean the end of a thing look at Star Trek it could lead off into a new realm . I ‘m for change if people know what their doing.