Official Evil Dead 4 Announcement

TheM 8 Comments Movie Page: Army of Darkness 2

Official Evil Dead 4 AnnouncementWe have been talking about it all week and now the studio has officially emailed me saying yep. Evil Dead 4 is a go. The new news is that Diablo Cody ( Juno, Jennifers Body ) is involved in this project!

Sam Raimi and original producing partners Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell (who also starred in the original franchise) are gearing up to remake their cult sensation THE EVIL DEAD through their long standing Ghost House Pictures partnership.  Raimi and Tapert were such instant fans of Fede Alvarez’s short film “Panic Attack” that they set up a blind deal with the filmmaker and through that process have attached Fede Alvarez to write and direct the film. Alvarez wrote the script with Rodo Sayagues. Academy Award® winning screenwriter Diablo Cody is currently doing revisions on the draft.  Ghost House is committed to renewing the franchise and has the film on the fast track.

Raimi, Tapert and Campbell will serve as producers.  Ghost House Pictures partners Joe Drake and Nathan Kahane will executive produce. Nicole Brown and J.R. Young will oversee the project for Ghost House.  Lionsgate will handle international sales on the film.

The three producing partners commented, “We are committed to making this movie and are inspired by the enduring popularity and enthusiasm for the ‘Evil Dead’ series. We can’t wait to scare a new generation of moviegoers using filmmaking techniques that were not available to us thirty years ago as well as Fede bringing a fresh eye to the film’s original elements.”

Raimi wrote, directed and, along with Tapert and Campbell, produced the original horror classic THE EVIL DEAD that tells the story of five twenty-something friends who become holed up in a remote cabin where they discover a Book Of The Dead.  An archaeologist’s tape recording reveals that the ancient text was discovered among the Khandarian ruins of a Sumerian civilization.  Playing the taped incantations, the youths unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival.  THE EVIL DEAD spawned a franchise with the equally successful installments EVIL DEAD II and ARMY OF DARKNESS.

30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time Sexiest Horror Movie Victims

1. TW July 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

It’s not Evil Dead 4.  Hell, without Sam Raimi writing or directing, and without Bruce Campbell in a starring role, it’s not even Evil Dead.

Thanks for spitting in the fans’ faces!  We don’t care about new technology and new characters!  Just give us Ash with his boomstick and chainsaw and a legion of undead to kill in a proper sequel, and we’ll be happy.

2. Shiyongseng2 July 14, 2011 at 2:25 am

I totally agree.

3. PecosSteamshovel July 14, 2011 at 2:27 am

The only thing diablo cody should be hard at work on is some lonely guys lap. She’s a whore, and now so is sam raimi. F’em all. At least they can’t erase the first three.

4. DanofDarkness July 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wow, lots of naysaying… That’s too bad. Personally, I’m all for it. I think that, BECAUSE Sam, Rob and Bruce are involved, they are not going to let this thing fail. They’re going to allow Fede just enough creative control with which to hang himself. I am a little leery of the new filmmaking “techniques” though. New “technologies” are a good thing, but the old school techniques, along with Raimi’s beyond-his-years inventiveness (at the time), made ED what it was then, and what it is today. Look at how Drag Me to Hell came out. New techniques, little bit of CGI, but not so much that it killed the movie. I would prefer little to no CGI in the remake, but under the watchful eye of Mr. Raimi, I’ll give this project my full support.

5. Carrie Neal July 15, 2011 at 4:15 pm

The Evil Dead trilogy has forever been my favourite of the horror genre. I was excited when I read Evil Dead 4…but after having a closer look, it is not going to be Evil Dead 4, just another lame reboot. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…when is Hollywood gonna realise this?

• DanofDarkness July 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Not sure if I see this as a “fix,” specifically. Granted, some remakes have certainly “fixed” otherwise mediocre-to-decent original films (see: The Crazies). Also, Raimi has talked for years about how he always wanted better treatment for ED, in terms better gear, equipment, budget, etc. Granted, it’s the lack of all those things that makes ED so awesometastic (that’s right, I just made that shit up), but I think the ‘Big 3′ (Raimi, Campbell, Tapert) know that, and appreciate that, and won’t let any harm or ill-handling befall this project.

• DanofDarkness July 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm