Carrie Fails to Light Up the Box-Office

Chris Savage 11 Comments Movie Page: Carrie (2013)

Carrie Fails to Light Up the Box OfficeKimberly Peirce’s remake of Carrie for MGM has been hyped up for months. We have had a slew of promos, trailers, posters, TV spots and everything in between, but even with all that marketing, the film still sunk at the box-office.

Perhaps studios should take notice. This is October, the month filled with all sorts of horror filled goodness and we only get one horror film opening during the month? And, it has to be a remake? C’mon! But perhaps they have learned their lesson, I doubt it.

In any event, according to DeadlineCarrie opened up to the #3 spot at the box-office with an estimated $17.0M for the weekend, but considering the film was made for an estimated $30M and the slew of dollars spent on advertising, this is pretty dire.

And guess which film is still at the #1 spot for its third week? Yep, Gravity is still dominating with a huge cume of $170.5M so far. This now brings the film’s worldwide cume to a staggering $284.7M!

Now considering that there is no Paranormal Activity film this year, you would have thought that someone would have looked and decided to move their horror flick to October to cash in on the opportunity, but instead, all we are left with is the remake of Carrie.

But, numbers don’t mean anything as films can open poorly and still be a solid effort, so, was Carrie a hit that no-one went to see, or is it something that reflects the numbers? Let us know below.

20 Best Horror Films of 2011 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time Best & Worst Horror Movies of 2012

1. Megan Samantha October 21, 2013 at 11:22 am

The film literally came out THREE DAYS AGO (too early to judge). I would say 17mil is pretty damn good to be up against something like Gravity.

2. willis October 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm

yeah man id say 17 million on a 30 million budget over one weekend is pretty good itll definatly make its money back and then some before its done in theatres.

3. Larry Brown October 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Did anybody actually think that pile of unnecessary crap would make a run of money?

4. will October 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I couldnt care less about gravity. Id see carrie if i didnt fear it would be a disappointment compared to de palmas film version. id rather get it on video rather than waste the 10 dollars at the theatres.

5. Josh Perlmutter October 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

well duh. stop with the remakes.

6. Bob Mikkelsen October 21, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Not a surprise its a flop.

7. Nick October 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I was able to see this film on Saturday with a few friends and I thought it was a really good film. The special effects were well done and the story jogged along at a quick pace and did not have any of the dreaded lull moments that can drag a film down. Considering this is a remake and quite a few people going in will already know what the basic storyline will be, the film held my interest valiantly and did what I would consider an admirable job at bringing the story of Carrie to a new generation. I was a little nervous when I found out that Chloe Grace Moretz would be playing the lead role of Carrie as when I envision that character I always saw her as very shy and plain. Chloe Grace Moretz is one of Hollywood’s more attractive young up and coming stars. Sissy Spacek pulled off the role extremely well in the 1976 version of the film and seemed to own the role. My slight apprehension was put to rest as Ms. Moretz was able to pull off the dowdy, shy, anxious and nervous role of Carrie White with great believability. Speaking of pulling of roles, Julianne Moore was excellent as the deeply religious (and slightly psycho) mother that Carrie has to contend with. She was an absolute scene stealer. Piper Laurie was fantastic in the same role in the original version of the film, but Ms. Moore’s portrayal was just frightening on a totally new level. I would recommend this film to anyone and hope that more people give it a chance as I feel that this film is a great modern interpretation of a classic Stephen King story.

8. Robert O'Dell October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Not surprised.

9. Hersey Jane October 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Waste of time!

10. pizzainacup October 22, 2013 at 1:05 am

The film will appeal to the CGI enthusiasts.

Sometimes, a remake can be worthwhile. Unfortunately, Carrie isn’t a good example of this. Watch the original film instead.

11. bearmon2010 October 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

To be honest, Gravity sucks. Not for me. I hope that Carrie will successful soon. :)