Scream 4 Movie Sequels Dead

Scream 4 Movie Sequels DeadScream 4 a movie that I loved immensely will not be seeing the light of day again. MovieHole was the first to report that the Scream franchise would end with Scream 4 and frankly as much as I loved Scream 4 I am not in the least surprised.

Scream 4 cost the studio $40million to make and its already winding down at the box office and has only managed to bring in just over $30million. When you compare this to Insidious which was made for $1.5million and brought in over $50million and is the most profitable film of 2011.

Scream 4 has gotten great reviews from our horror community but at the end of the day its not about the fans its about the dollars and it seems despite our rabid interest Scream 5 and 6 are doomed by the poor performance of Scream 4 at the box office. The studio has said they have not decided yet on whether Wes Cravens Scream 4 would be the last or not but I would suspect that its very likely met its end considering its box office turnout.

Did horror fans do the franchise in by not turning out to support the film? Considering the high rating you all gave it its very low turn out is frankly… shocking. Why do you think that Scream 4 failed to catch on with what I assume is the mainstream horror fans?

[poll id="3"]

Sexiest Horror Movie Victims 30 Worst Horror Films Of All Time 20 Best Horror Films of 2011

1. Paul Reeves April 27, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Their article was like several other articles that only said there was a good chance of no more sequels. They just updated the article after receiving an insider email saying the production company has yet to decide on whether or not there will be more sequels.

THERE’S STILL HOPE! ( Personally I really hope they do give us more sequels; Scream 4 was incredible.)

2. Scanner April 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Haven’t seen it yet but I intend to, had family issues come up so finances are even more scarce at the moment. Not my favorite franchise, but I did see the first 3 so am interested in the 4th. :)

3. Chris Farmer April 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Scream 4 was alright. too me it was just a point to prove how the last decade of horror movies have been. just a bunch of remakes prequels and sequels and the way they are with being so quick with pointless characters, plot holes, and lack of character development, and with gore. i think the ending was just already done with scream 3. i think scream 4 wouldve better if they put a lot more thought into it and really did like the original trilogy. i do like the ending to a point from the point we found out who the killers were till the end. gale was cool and dewey was just dumb through it which is odd (nice how they were reversed with one getting stabbed) and sidney wasn’t bad. i dont really care to where she’s been for the last few years since some ppl complained about that. like who cares. fill in the holes yourself. all in all i give it like a 7. so if scream 5 is in the works… bring back to how it really is… i was sad about how ghostface’s voice was through it. lol

4. Cash April 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Scream 4 was nothing to write home about. It spent too much time making fun of itself and reminding horror fans of the downward trend of horrible reboots and remakes that are popular these days. I spent my cash on it but others obviously did not. Time for Craven to make another fresh horror.

• Gena N March 16, 2012 at 4:32 am

No it was just fine actually I’m watching it right now and it rocks! – Jackie Anaya

5. Ron Nocella April 27, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Im seeing SCREAM 4 tonight so Ill let you know how upset I am about this news later. Based on my expectations for S4, I am disappointed that due to its lack of financial success, the other films may not happen.

6. EasterBunnyKiller April 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Scream 4 made me sad to be alive… Review will be forthcoming once I can figure out a way to put my disgust into words. I’m glad it hasn’t made back it’s budget, and I hope it doesn’t so that Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson take a cold hard look at what they did wrong.

7. FamilyGuy1428 April 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

The movie was great! There is a generation gap thats part of the problem, they didnt get the younger generation although they tried. Its too bad Scream 4 was solid! Much better than Scream 3 and close to Scream 2. It’s really unfortunate….this generation prefers Silly films like Insidious that end like a comedy costume party

• Lisa April 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I totally agree with you! I loved it, and I thought it was an awesome Scream-movie. What I think they lost lots of people on is that it is too complicated for some of the audience today. You kind of have to have a love and apprieciation for the genre itself before you can truly “get” a Scream-movie and all it’s sarcasm and the little jokes. Scream isn’t supposed to be a up-in-your-face-look-at-me-I’m-so-scary-type of movie – it’s equal horror and black comedy. :)

8. MungusMungo8694 April 28, 2011 at 3:49 am

I LOVED IT. I saw twice..and paid both times, I did my part!

9. MungosMungo8694 April 28, 2011 at 3:57 am

Oh and I dont think its very smart to post an article as “NEWS”, when you have no actual facts to base your OPINION on, This isnt CNN…I can see you wanting people to read your “article” but at least have facts other than box office totals that we all already know

10. Ron Nocella April 28, 2011 at 4:50 am

Just got back from seeing SCRE4M and I thought I had the whole thing figured out but as usual, I had my fucking mind blown. Not going to give anything away but the twist ending is by far the biggest shock of the series… and the creepiest. This makes it all the more upsetting that the film isnt doing well. Its easily STILL one of the best horror franchises of recent times and should be doing a hell of a lot better than it is. Some small things were disappointing but overall, its a VERY worth while film. Its intelligent and fun and scary and shocking. Everything one should expect from a Scream film.

Dimension, Weinsteins, Wes, Kevin, Hollywood… Please, bring on 5CREAM!! <—-Hah!

• Davo814995 April 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I’m with u on that one lol

11. Mike Plewes April 28, 2011 at 5:25 am

I loved Scream 4 and love the franchise. Bring on 5 and 6 but bring Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven let then do their thing. I just don’t think the young kids get how inside these movies are and they are too focus on justin bieber and hilary montana or whatever the fuck her name is, to even consider any classics like i grew up doing. or maybe i’m wrong and everone is onboard the new paranormal movie wave rather than the slasher wave. i digress. Scream 4 rocked and I welcome 5 and 6, but if they aren’t made then i’m satisfied with what they went out with.

• Harryboy6969 April 29, 2011 at 5:10 am

You know Her name is Hannah Montana, don’t be overly ridiculous and insulting

12. Adamrobinson22192 April 28, 2011 at 5:46 am

Scream 4 is actually doing well, it’s brought in $67 million so far worldwide, and it will make more by the end of it’s run. It’s only been out 2 weeks so there is still time. I’m guessing it’ll make at least $100 million worldwide when all is said and done.

13. Chuck April 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

is it just me or why do they focus only on box office revenue what about t shirts and dvd sales to me going to the movie sux and the 3d crap makes it worse I think that when in comes out on dvd and blu ray and focus on that because people who have issues with financial problems & don’t feel like spending $8 on something you see once is a issue with theatrical releases

14. Adrian Maunder April 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Scream 4 was going to be a belly flop, the first three were made and sold as a trilogy, you cant just add another 3 to it without everyone who supported the franchise getting atleast annoied with them!

15. TheDude April 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’m glad the sequel are dead. Scream 4 was quite bad and I blame it all on Wes Craven. He hasn’t made a good movie since Scream 2 back in 1997. And with that I believe he hurt this franchise and ultimately killed it.

As for the made side for this movie to break even it has to make 110 million dollars worldwide. That is so because the studio only gets 60 to 65 percent of the domestic money only 40 percent of the overseas money. And to the people who say it has only been out for two weeks that is exactly why it won’t do much more. Horror films rarely make big money after the first few weeks.

16. Azathoth April 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Haven’t seen it yet, so no comment on quality. As for costs, how much of it was due to the stars? The problem of making sequels is that once someone gets famous (Neve, the Arquettes), they can command more pay.

17. Toby Geralds May 8, 2011 at 2:10 am

I’m a big Scream fan and I wasn’t disappointed by Scream 4. Sure, it can’t be as iconic as the original… but it was a great sequel nonetheless. The Scream series is awesome. Long live the 90′s.

18. Rob August 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

The sensationalism is humorous but Scream will have a sequel if that is what they want. These financial results are not horrendous and are perfectly profitable. I’m sure we’ll see a new Final Destination and look how that did at the box office just this weekend. Guess what it’s budget was? Yup $40 million. It’s not uncommon, and studios are more likely to bank on doing films with a $40 million dollar budget and a pedigree than an upstart with $1.5 million and very little to no chance at success.

19. Anonymous November 17, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I was just watching this on http://watchitonline.ch/ ! It’s really cool, my recommendation :)