Tom Savini To Direct Innovative Zombie Movie Death Island

Herner Klenthur 33 Comments

Tom Savini is a very unique character in the horror genre and almost every die hard horror fan knows who he is. Today comes news he has tapped Tony Todd and Tiffany Shepis two fellow genre icons to star in his second directorial debut Death Island.

Having met Tom Savini I was quite shocked by his rugged nature and his straight to the point attitude but there is no denying that his special effects contributing to the genre and his work on Night of the Living Dead remake as director are second to none. So the thought of his returning to the directors seat is pretty damn exciting.

Ryan Strickland emailed me to share news on this new project which is looking to raise $1million on indiegogo which is a pretty damn ambitious number to raise. Tom Savini’s production team are promising big things about Death Island declaring it will make zombie movies scary again and stand out in a sea of other zombie films. They write quote;

Zombie films have been around forever and are at an all time high right now. With the incredible success of AMC’s The Walking Dead and most recently the blockbuster feature film, World War Z, the audiences are coming out in force to support quality zombie fare. Well Tom Savini’s Death Island will not only give the fans what they want but it will also bring a fresh take to the screen and ground the zombie mythology to its original roots while also bringing some new and scary concepts to the table that have never before been seen on the screen. Tom wants to bring many of the ideas he had to this film that he was unable to bring to life when filming his version of Night of the Living Dead.

And this will help Tom Savini’s Death Island stand apart for the rest and revitalize the cinematic future of the living dead moving forward. Plus the chance to see some of the names Tom has lined up to appear in the film make it even better. Horror Icon’s Tony Todd and Tiffany Shepis are already onboard and more will follow as soon as funding is secure.

To donate money to help them raise their $1million you can go here. What are your thoughts on Tom Savini returning to the directors chair? I have always said that Tom Savini needed to direct more movies since his work on the remake of Night of the Living Dead was second to none. It has made many of our top lists including our list of the Top 23 Horror Remakes

Below is Tom Savini’s pitch video for the project.

20 Best Horror Films of 2011 Gallery: Best Walking Dead Zombie Kills! 25 Best Monster Movies Of All Time

1. Wayne John Davies September 1, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Fucking zombies…

2. Steven Stab-Proof Murray September 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm

^ exactly what I’ve been talking about :(

• Wayne John Davies
          Wayne John Davies September 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm

You want your zombie films? Look around lol.

3. Loucifer Rusconi September 1, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Agreed, no more zombies!!

4. Creature September 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I love this idea, and I hope the film turns out wonderful. With the enormous popularity that zombies have gotten over the past few years, I believe we need a master horror director/fan to create a true, down-to-earth zombie film for the mainstream audiences to see (for perhaps their first time) and enjoy.

5. Roy Munet September 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm

you awesome and the best tom savani love to see anything you make

6. Nicholas Gardner September 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm

more >>>GOOD zombie movies…

7. Joshua Geier September 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm

If its done by Tom Savini Ill take as much Zombies as he’s willing to give us! Very excited about this news!

8. Tylor Mintz September 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I think this is a great idea. Really looking forward to seeing his film. – The Creature.

9. Michelangelo Roche September 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Master of being a dick I hear

• Wayne John Davies
          Wayne John Davies September 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm

A couple of people I know have ‘tried’ to meet him at Festivals have said he’s a cock.

• Horror-Movies.ca
          Horror-Movies.ca September 1, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I met him at a festival and tried to talk to him and frankly I wish i had never met him. up until that point I was his biggest fan. I still respect his work but never want to meet him again. – HK

10. Steven Stab-Proof Murray September 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Lol

Better things to do then slate ppl who are creating things I’m not interested in

11. Matthew Knight September 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I sooooo want to see this made!!!

12. Brandon Scott Kilton September 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm

What movie?

13. Timothy Jones September 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Savini rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jeanette Lucero September 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Dolores C. Herrera, Elorra Herrera, Kristina Bearden, Mikel Bearden. I can hardly wait to see Tom Savini’s new Zombie movie “Death Island”.

15. Randy Polk September 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm

GREAT make-up artist, true genius, but he’s a shitty director and an even worse human being so fuck his project.

16. Donald Occhipinti September 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Looks like the Old TOM SAVINI of the 80’s is back!!!! He was always the master of gore in my opinion!!! This sounds like a great movie…something new…not something that has been rehashed by Hollywood dozens of times!!! This is one movie I want to see!!!

17. Donald Occhipinti September 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm

YES! LOOKS LIKE THE TOM SAVINI OF THE EIGHTIES IS BACK!!!!!

18. Steven Stab-Proof Murray September 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm

‘Selling out’

19. Steven Stab-Proof Murray September 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I go back to my Maniac point

20. John Scooter Lincoln September 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm

savini is a god! love his stuff!

21. caja88 September 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I hope its as good as it sounds. I’m a huge Savini fan. I even called him one night after I watched Deranged. Just to ask him what the mood was like on the set with Roberts Blossom and to tell him what an eerily amazing job he did with no budget.
        I think this directorial will be much more challenging. He had a sort of template with the “Night” remake. I’m looking forward to it though.

22. Daniel Savage September 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Savini also directed a vampire short in the anthology film DEADTIME STORIES (don’t remember if it was pt 1 or 2)…

23. Glenn Holmes September 1, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Tom savini needs to stick to special effects. Enough fuckin zombie movies. If he is a god its because George romero banged his mom

24. Aaron Whitsell September 1, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Like we need more zombie shit!!! BUt who knows it might be better than all the other bullshit from the last two decades!!

25. Brian Mcjunkin September 1, 2013 at 8:36 pm

it’s gonna be great

26. Nelson Buck September 1, 2013 at 8:56 pm

What happened to him directing the remake of Children Shouldn’t play With Dead Things?

27. Ross Killey September 2, 2013 at 1:07 am

This project sounds interesting

28. Steven Ramsey September 2, 2013 at 9:00 am

Bring it on Tom…he was cool as hell when I met him a few years ago.